Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF Checking $400 SUB DP

tag
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

Re: WF Checking $400 SUB DP

@ccquest wrote:
So another question now then, better to leave the $1500 remaining in the WF account or just do a $500 transfer from PenFed every month until I close the account (figure maybe 6 months to avoid any issues instead of right after getting the SUB)? Could be a lot of transfers back and forth lol.

Should I expect any sort of potential AA on my Propel card from WF for doing this?

For the first two months the account is open, Wells Fargo gives you a grace period on the fee; so you really only have to worry the third month. I would say keep your $1,500 in an interest-bearing account and on the third month just do the $500 DD to keep it fee-free. But if it is easier for you, you could certainly park $1,500 there for a few months. 

I do not believe you have to worry about AA on your Propel card; usually the retail banking side of things is separate from the credit card division. But honestly, you are not doing anything wrong. You got the promotion; used it, got the bonus and maybe the account did not work for you so you elected to close it. Nothing wrong there. Now, maybe if you do the promo 3 years in a row they might take notice but I have not heard anything about AA for opening bank accounts for the bonus. Most of the banks offer these sign-up bonuses and most people completely ignore them; so the few of us that actually take advantage of them don't break the bank.

Message 31 of 58
ccquest
Established Contributor

Sounds like a plan to me and I suppose I could temporarily redirect my second job DD to go in there then just worry about the transfer out to the interest account instead of parking $1500 at WF and getting nothing (other than a cool $400!).

Thanks for all your info @BearsCubsOtters
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 32 of 58
lovelife2
New Contributor

I opened a WF checking/savings account back in May and just received my $400.   I had to close my Alaska FCU account, as nearest bank is 40 minute drive on a good day which is rare, there was one close to me but it closed and left me with this long drive.   Needed a bank close by, and WF ATM is 5 min away, do everything via app and ATM (cash deposit).   Really happy, threw it into my HYSA Marcus.     I also have Ally Checking/Savings, love both banks.   Direct Deposit from work and transfer from Ally, quick and painless.   

very happy  

Message 33 of 58
ccquest
Established Contributor

After having issues submitting the online application for the past week, I called the number on the error page and was on hold for 20 minutes before the CSR answered, said he didn't see any website issues, and took the easy way out by scheduling me an in-branch appointment for Tuesday. I'll see if the banker is able to get me approved there or not.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 34 of 58
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
After having issues submitting the online application for the past week, I called the number on the error page and was on hold for 20 minutes before the CSR answered, said he didn't see any website issues, and took the easy way out by scheduling me an in-branch appointment for Tuesday. I'll see if the banker is able to get me approved there or not.

Are your credit reports locked or frozen? Banks often do a SP of one of the CRAs to verify identity, I always unlock mine when opening a new bank account. But the banker at your in-branch appointment should be able to take care of that, just be sure they attach the promo code to your account.

BTW, so far I've done ACH deposits from Marcus savings, HSBC savings and a credit union, all have coded as Direct Deposits by Wells.

Message 35 of 58
ccquest
Established Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Are your credit reports locked or frozen? Banks often do a SP of one of the CRAs to verify identity, I always unlock mine when opening a new bank account. But the banker at your in-branch appointment should be able to take care of that, just be sure they attach the promo code to your account.

I haven't frozen anything yet but might look into freezing the big 3 once my new student loan refi finishes. I pulled ChexSystems this morning just to see what would be on there and it only shows my new Liberty account but nothing else. Going to request EWS too just to see what that has on it.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 36 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ccquest wrote:

I had issues submitting the online application as well (got the error page lots of times). It eventually went through, but I wasn't able to set up an online account even after I finally got my debit card in the mail. I had to call a CSR to do it for me. And even though I signed up using the link, they said that the $400 promotional offer wasn't applied to my account! I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the trouble with the online application, but I'm stuck in a loop of messaging the CSRs who aren't acknowledging or looking into the issue. I'm thinking of trying to go into a branch to solve the issue, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to escalate it. Please do update if things go well there.

Either way, I might give up on trying to collect this SUB. I'd been considering opening a Wells Fargo account even before I heard about the SUB (there's a branch in a location super close to my house) so it's not a huge loss to me. But at this point, even if they agreed to apply to promo to my account, I'm just not confident they would actually follow through with the SUB.

Message 37 of 58
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ccquest wrote:

I had issues submitting the online application as well (got the error page lots of times). It eventually went through, but I wasn't able to set up an online account even after I finally got my debit card in the mail. I had to call a CSR to do it for me. And even though I signed up using the link, they said that the $400 promotional offer wasn't applied to my account! I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the trouble with the online application, but I'm stuck in a loop of messaging the CSRs who aren't acknowledging or looking into the issue. I'm thinking of trying to go into a branch to solve the issue, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to escalate it. Please do update if things go well there.

Either way, I might give up on trying to collect this SUB. I'd been considering opening a Wells Fargo account even before I heard about the SUB (there's a branch in a location super close to my house) so it's not a huge loss to me. But at this point, even if they agreed to apply to promo to my account, I'm just not confident they would actually follow through with the SUB.

@Anonymous, Call and ask to escalate the issue to a supervisor.

Good luck!

Message 38 of 58
ccquest
Established Contributor

I think I got it added to my account when I went in, will have to read over everything again when I get home to be certain but I told him the promo code after much fussing because the deal was pulled prematurely sometime between Sunday and this afternoon. All links to it are dead, but thankfully my online app was still saved and mentioned the code in there.

If someone else needs it, DAAA20 - when the personal banker brought it up, the expiration was still showing as July 31.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 39 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

What other FI look at DD like Wells & US Bank?  Bank Of The West? BBVA?

Message 40 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.