Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways to join NFCU ?

tag
Albert_E63
Regular Contributor

Ways to join NFCU ?

Is there any way to join NFCU without being in the military?  i know there a was a backdoor way but it was removed, I wanna join cause i heard NFCU is a good CU to be with

FICO 08 Scores EX 624 EQ 631 TU 646, Goal 800+
16 REPLIES 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Ways to join NFCU ?

The Navy League of San Diego loophole has been closed for a while now.  But there are still many ways of joining the country's largest credit union:

https://www.navyfederal.org/membership/become-a-member/eligibility.php

They are indeed great!

Message 2 of 17
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

You don't have to be in the military or a veteran to join NFCU. You can join if an immediate family member is or was eligible.

In my case, I went into a branch and shared with them that my father served in WW II in Europe. He fought with the 70th Infantry across France and Germany. I have a T-shirt for my son that says, "My Grandfather Helped Liberate Europe".  That was more than sufficient basis for my membership in NFCU.

Message 3 of 17
rbentley
Established Contributor

You can also join if any member of your household is or ws in the military.  That includes roommates.

Message 4 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Please be careful with the roomates waySmiley Wink To me its the most roundabout way to join and if your p's and q's arent up to snuff, future headaches might occurSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 17
Albert_E63
Regular Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Please be careful with the roomates waySmiley Wink To me its the most roundabout way to join and if your p's and q's arent up to snuff, future headaches might occurSmiley Wink

yeah and im guessing you must both have the same address

Message 6 of 17
Albert_E63
Regular Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

You don't have to be in the military or a veteran to join NFCU. You can join if an immediate family member is or was eligible.

In my case, I went into a branch and shared with them that my father served in WW II in Europe. He fought with the 70th Infantry across France and Germany. I have a T-shirt for my son that says, "My Grandfather Helped Liberate Europe".  That was more than sufficient basis for my membership in NFCU.

is there a way to search and see if i have any family in the military ? im sure i have some just probaly don't know them 

Message 7 of 17
Albert_E63
Regular Contributor

And is there any other good CU like NFCU but don't require military history ?

Message 8 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Albert_E63 wrote:

Pentagon Federal Credit Union:

https://netmember.penfed.org/NetMember/Forms/OpenAccounts/Eligibility.aspx?MEMBERSHIP

If you are otherwise ineligible, choose "Other" in the drop-down box and you can join by becoming a member of one of the two organizations for $17.  National Military Family Association is tax-deductible.

Message 9 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Albert_E63 wrote:

I myself am not a  fan of Penfed, but more so due to my experience,  but is a viable route for non military people to join. I do however highly recommend, again based off my own experienc, Langley Federal Credit Union. Open to anyone i believe by joining a club or library if you dont meet eligibility.  They've been wonderful for a low income earning average joe , more so then Penfed , and im glad to be apart of their teamSmiley Happy. Hp to join but hp good for 30 days to use on other productsSmiley Happy

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.