cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo new account $250 bonus UPDATED! - Now thru March 3rd

tag
someone379
Regular Contributor

I bank with USAA but my mortgage is with Wells Fargo ---...

I bank with USAA but my mortgage is with Wells Fargo --- I got this offer in the mail ...  Does anyone know that if I setup the account in my USAA portal and transfer money from my USAA Checking to Wells Fargo Checking from that USAA portal if that would qualify as "direct deposit"?    If so, I could just setup a scheduled transfer for my mortgage amount to the WF account and let WF take that mortgage payment from there ...

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 31 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I bank with USAA but my mortgage is with Wells Fargo ---...

@someone379 wrote:

I bank with USAA but my mortgage is with Wells Fargo --- I got this offer in the mail ...  Does anyone know that if I setup the account in my USAA portal and transfer money from my USAA Checking to Wells Fargo Checking from that USAA portal if that would qualify as "direct deposit"?    If so, I could just setup a scheduled transfer for my mortgage amount to the WF account and let WF take that mortgage payment from there ...

Probably not - they seem pretty savvy about telling the difference between a funds transfer and a drirect deposit.

I plan on leaving my DD alone and just making the required debit transactions from my initial deposit, then closing the checking after receiving the bonus - but in your case there may be benefit to keeping the account, so I would check with whoever does your DD to see if they can split it - my employer allows up to 4 DD accounts, for example

Message 32 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

You guys are overthinking this... if you are doing this for the bonus only do not switch DD or even worry about messing with it, even if you don't shop at Amazon purchase 10 $0.50 cent gift cards and you will meet the qualification. You will spend $5 and not have to go through the hassle of switching DD or anything. 

Message 33 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You guys are overthinking this... if you are doing this for the bonus only do not switch DD or even worry about messing with it, even if you don't shop at Amazon purchase 10 $0.50 cent gift cards and you will meet the qualification. You will spend $5 and not have to go through the hassle of switching DD or anything. 

In my case agree with you 100% - only trying to give the other guy options since his mortgage is there...and conventional wisdom kinda leans to not pissing off your mortgage lender  Smiley Wink

Message 34 of 185
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@someone379 wrote:

Yes it does.  Smiley Happy

I've been doing this for the last few years to avoid the WF monthly account fee.  I 'push' $500 from my USAA checking account to my WF checking account, and their computer 'sees' this as a direct deposit, waiving my monthly fee.  I then use WF's billpay to pay a couple of bills I would have paid anyway, or occasionally I just wait a few days then do an ACH 'pull' from USAA to move the funds right back. 

Easy-peasy.  Smiley Wink

Message 35 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@someone379 wrote:

I've been doing this for the last few years to avoid the WF monthly account fee.  I 'push' $500 from my USAA checking account to my WF checking account, and their computer 'sees' this as a direct deposit, waiving my monthly fee.  I then use WF's billpay to pay a couple of bills I would have paid anyway, or occasionally I just wait a few days then do an ACH 'pull' from USAA to move the funds right back. 

Easy-peasy.  Smiley Wink

Just be careful with this method not sure if it will count for the bonus, Chase reads my ACH push from NFCU as Direct Deposit to waive the monthly fee but there is confirmation that they do not count this for new account holders who want to get the bonus. Not sure if this is how Wells Fargo works as well, the language specifically states employer or outside agency so I would be very cautious... seems way to risky to me especially when it is so easy to swipe a DC 10 times... best of luck.

Message 36 of 185
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Wells Fargo new account $250 bonus thru Feb 17

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@someone379 wrote:

Easy-peasy.  Smiley Wink

Just be careful with this method not sure if it will count for the bonus, Chase reads my ACH push from NFCU as Direct Deposit to waive the monthly fee but there is confirmation that they do not count this for new account holders who want to get the bonus. Not sure if this is how Wells Fargo works as well, the language specifically states employer or outside agency so I would be very cautious... seems way to risky to me especially when it is so easy to swipe a DC 10 times... best of luck.

I was more suggesting this as a way to avoid the monthly fee going forward, not in regards to earning a bonus (or not).  I personally have no experience with WF bonuses, but if it were me I would follow the language 'strictly' until the bonus was credited. 

Actually, the solution I would choose is both... get the debit card purchases to earn the bonus and use ACH 'push' from USAA to avoid the monthly fee (assuming you want to keep the account, of course).  If the bonus is credited after the ACH push that would be 'gravy', and if not it would be earned after the debit card purchases anyway.  Win-win.  Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 185
stellar
Established Contributor

10 debit card transactions will also avoid the monthly fee.  I was confused about that also, so I checked.

To continue avoiding the monthly fee, you have to make another 10 debit card transactions every month.  Or do the direct deposit monthly.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/jump/checking/everyday-special/

Message 38 of 185
someone379
Regular Contributor

Thanks for that info --- I have no problem doing the 10 debit transactions for the initial bonus, but I would prefer to keep the account and I don't ever use debit cards ... I would only keep it if I can avoid the fee by transfering money from USAA monthly as I have zero intent to use it for purchases or keep a balance in it.

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 39 of 185
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@stellar wrote:

10 debit card transactions will also avoid the monthly fee.  I was confused about that also, so I checked.

To continue avoiding the monthly fee, you have to make another 10 debit card transactions every month.  Or do the direct deposit monthly.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/jump/checking/everyday-special/

This is good to know.  Smiley Happy

My account type is no longer offered and my only option to avoid the monthly fee is ACH-push/"Direct Deposit" but it's nice that folks with new(er) accounts have more options.  I could probably change my account type, but my monthly push from USAA has been working well and in any case I try to avoid using my debit card unless it's absolutely necessary.  The important part is that I'm still able to get the fee waived.  Smiley Very Happy

For people who don't have access to a free way to do an ACH 'push' the debit card method will be very helpful.

Thanks for sharing!  Smiley Wink

Message 40 of 185
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.