cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What app are you guys using for tracking credit and bank accounts?

tag
Durian

I know most of y'all hold 10,20, or even 30 credit cards.. and multiple bank accounts. What do you use?

23 REPLIES 23
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

Re: What app are you guys using for tracking credit and bank accounts?

YNAB (You Need A Budget)

Tracking 8 credit cards and 18 checking and savings accounts. 

Last update: 4/8/2024
Chopping Block:

Goal Cards
Message 2 of 24
RSX
Valued Contributor

an Excel document that i have been using for about 10 years

https://www.vertex42.com/?utm_source=debt-reduction-calculator&utm_campaign=templates&utm_content=lo...

i have added some additional sheets to it to track CLI - Open Dates - Total CL - Inquiry dates etc

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 3 of 24
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I use a spreadsheet and set up reminders in Outlook for statements and due dates.  I also use CreditWise from Capital One for credit alerts.  

Guyatthebeach

Message 4 of 24
ccquest
Established Contributor

I track my cards and general budget within an Excel spreadsheet.

As far as checking the accounts themselves, it's just bookmarks in Chrome.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5 of 24
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

@RSX wrote:

an Excel document that i have been using for about 10 years

https://www.vertex42.com/?utm_source=debt-reduction-calculator&utm_campaign=templates&utm_content=lo...

i have added some additional sheets to it to track CLI - Open Dates - Total CL - Inquiry dates etc

The nerd in me wants to have a field day with this website.

Last update: 4/8/2024
Chopping Block:

Goal Cards
Message 6 of 24
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

I tend to create spreadsheets when I need them. It's easy enough because I have a lot of experience manipulating data, and the DIY approach means I don't have to worry about data mining or security breaches. The most important sheet is one that tracks all my accounts. There is a separate line for each account, with fields for URLs, account number / userid, password hints, whether any cards are saved, which email I used, opening date, notes, etc. The second most important sheet is one that tracks my overall assets. The assets sheet is grouped by type into tabs, with a separate line for each asset, and all that data is summarized on the main tab.

I'm fairly new to credit so those sheets are in flux, but I have separate spreadsheets for each card, which I've used to figure out things like billing cycles and rewards. They're more to help me learn how things work than anything else, and I'll eventually drop them. My longer term solution is just calendar alerts, reminding me of the end of billing cycles (I'm not worried about due dates, because I pay at the end of the cycle). I also have a sheet that's tracking updates to my credit score and the key factors influencing it, but as that's become more stable and I've become more familiar with everything, I'm also using it less.

There are also specialized sheets for things like investment accounts and crypto, where I track transactions and allocation, partly for my own information and partly for taxes. I also have a tendency to throw together temporary sheets to compare various options in an easy to compare format, like potential new credit cards or mutual funds, or to summarize key features of various accounts, like limits and fees. After I look at the information, I tend to stop maintaining the sheets, though I throw them in an archive folder, so I can look at the past or use them as templates in the future.

Message 7 of 24
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

For maximizing which credit card to use I use the CardPointers app

for keeping track of credit card rewards I use the awardwallet app

for general finance I somewhat use Personal capital app

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 8 of 24
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

I track 9 credit cards (including those of SO and child), two auto loans, 11 savings accounts and three checking accounts without software or spreadsheets, but y'all are giving me ideas. Might be easier to juggle all that if I had a better plan.

Message 9 of 24
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Durian wrote:

I know most of y'all hold 10,20, or even 30 credit cards.. and multiple bank accounts. What do you use?

A text editor.

Before I got sick, I had a very detailed spreadsheet, then everything just stopped for two+ years. When I resumed tracking things, it was with an Android text app on my phone (because I wasn't strong enough yet to sit up and use a laptop). Once I got back on a nice big laptop, I copied my phone's file over and started modifying its structure. With so much more real estate (a 17.3" screen vs 6.5"), there was a lot more room for information!

If you're interested in seeing how I set mine up, I'll post some snippets. But the main point is that you have a blank slate and can make it look--and contain any information--as it suits you. My file contains an alphabetized list of all my credit cards; each card's entry contains its account number, expiration date, CVV, phone number from back of card, due date, credit limit, date it posts, date it reports, and anything else that's pertinent.

Below that, I have a month-by-month breakdown--created by simply copying/pasting its template from the bottom of the file--listing every card, the current statement balance, the minimum due, the due date, and any special info that's pertinent right then. When I make the payment, there's a field for the amount actually paid. Say that I activate a 0% offer on purchases for 12 months at BofA, I'll note that with the date activated on the relevant month's entry for BofA.

I total everything up for each month, including total balance, total minimum payments, total amount actually paid, and anything else important.

It's not fancy or pretty, but it's very, very handy! I use it all the time to copy/paste account numbers when I'm shopping online. And the great thing is that it's so easy to modify--if I suddenly decide (and I have) that I don't like the way it's arranged, a little cutting and pasting solves the problem. I keep track of credit limit increases and requests, dates I initiated a balance transfer plus how much it was, from which card, and what it was used for, and so on. It works great for me.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.