Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What bank do you all use (savings)?

tag
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

Re: What bank do you all use (savings)?

I use Ally Bank for my primary checking and savings - and since I switched about a year ago, I have never looked back.

I kept a small account at my large regional local bank that I had had, but I recently left them as well, and joined a terrific credit union.

I couldn't be happier!

Online banks for higher interest earnings, and credit unions for local banking - yes!

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is my savings "hub" account as it pays 1.65% but I move $$$ all the time from there to capture sign up bonuses... I'm on track to make over $3k just of sign up bonuses this year... it's kind of annoying to make a spreadsheet to keep track of the requirements for each account but for $3k... I'll deal with inconvenience. check out doctor of credit or hustler money blog for info about bank bonuses. 

Message 12 of 26
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

I, too, keep a spreadsheet - which tracks a variety of things! I love the number crunching....

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using a Chase checking account as my deposit account, wages and cash get deposited there then distributed to bills, investments and savings. Then I have a Discover checking and savings used for emergency fund. 

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU for checking and saving. 

Best financial institution I have ever tried. 

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep minimums in a couple local banks (for convenience), and the rest is online.

I couldn't be happier with Discover savings! They keep up with the top tier rate (Maybe 5 points lower than Goldman Sachs or CIT) but their 24/7 phone reps are great, which provide better peace of mind to me than any of the local banks.

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Savings 1.65% APR (next day transfers into my CU checking account if ever needed)

NFCU 15-month CD 2.25% APR

Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an addendum to my previous answer, I also have been doing some T-Bill laddering...buying 13 week T-Bills through Treasury Direct, yield has been creeping VERY close to 2%, which still doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but still better than the 1.7 % that Goldman Sachs is paying.  Decent liquidity, decent return, interesting little addition to my arsenal.

Message 18 of 26
iced
Valued Contributor

@Scott90 wrote:

I use BoA for checking/saving but I am curious as to what banks others use? 

I recently got an advertisement in the mail for CapOne's 360 Money Market which has 1.60% APY.... significantly higher than BoA and most other banks. Then there are online banks (CIT, Synchrony, etc.) that offer higher returns too. I am just wondering if there is something I am missing here because to me it seems like a no brainer that I should switch so my savings actually earns something. I understand there will be a tax bill at the end of the year from doing so but switching would still come out with more earned even after paying taxes.

What are your thoughts?

My SO and I use multiple accounts for savings:

- DCU for 5%.

- Capital One at 1.6%.

- Barclays at 1.65%.

- 12-month CDs at 2%.

- We also have a bit spread across various brokerages earning 0%, held short-term until stock is purchased with it.

Message 19 of 26
601flyguy
Established Contributor

I try and keep my savings in high yield accounts. I have
First Financial Bank @ 4.xx% up to 15k
Heritage Bank @ 3.3% up to 25k

I have a few Insight Visas and constantly looking for places to park money/SUB
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.