cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happen when you undo a bank joint account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happen when you undo a bank joint account?

What happen when you undo a bank joint account? I don't have much credit, but I am building it. We have a joint account. I wonder what would happen if we undo it? Especialy on my credit report?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: What happen when you undo a bank joint account?

I'm guessing it will not have an effect on your credit report?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous There is no undoing a joint account, all you can do is close it.

regardless bank accounts aren't on your credit report.

Message 3 of 7
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Actually some CU's will allow you to break a joint credit card... but it usually means an HP....similar to taking someone off a cellphone account.... and requiring a high enough score to basically re-apply in your name only..... 

-J

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude Yeah they close it and open a new one in your name, right? Or does it keep the history?

But OP asked about a bank account.  At a credit union it might be possible to remove a secondary from a checking account, but I doubt that at a bank. And I doubt you can remove a joint from a credit card from a bank either, I've tried unsuccessfully. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answers. The account before was a single person account that we transformed into a joint. I wonder what would happen to the FICO score.

Message 6 of 7
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your answers. The account before was a single person account that we transformed into a joint. I wonder what would happen to the FICO score.

As already mentioned above, bank accounts are not a direct factor in FICO scores. If you get an HP related to a bank account, that would have a (probably small) negative effect for up to 1 year.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.