cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is rate of return versus personal rate of return?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is rate of return versus personal rate of return?

What is the different between these two rate of returns? What rate of returns should be focused on if I should?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is rate of return versus personal rate of return?

Basically rate of return makes the assumptions that you bought all your current assets (shares typically) at the beginning of the year and just held.

Personal rate of return factors in that shares may have been bought or sold over the period and as such winds up being a more true reflection of what is your actual return.  

To illustrate with a dumb example:

If I dumped 10K into the S&P index 12/31/18 I'd be up 28.86%: the rate of return and my personal rate of return would both equal this.

On the other hand if I dumped that same 10K in 90 days ago, the rate of return would still be 28.86% but my personal rate of return would be 11.88%.  Still completely solid but a far cry from the trailing 12 months one.

In my case I threw a bunch of money into my equity accounts this year: my total rate of return was 42.15% this year, whereas my total personal rate of return was 27.23%.  Still fantastic just not quite as awesome haha... I focus more on dollar values and regardless of the percentages, this was a stupidly good year for me.

        
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information, much appreciated. To follow up on this information, if I want to find out how much I'll have in about 15 years, what rate of return should I use? For example, if I use the compound interest calculator, should I use the money weighted or time weighted rate of returns?

Message 3 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If you can get money-weighted do that; however, it's not easy calculating all of the inflows and outflows when we're talking future growth of a portfolio.

Can be done if you have regular inflows and know the costs (management fees / withdrawals / etc) otherwise it's hard to really get it done accurately but it's a better representation of reality.

If you are just looking to see roughly (or exactly depending on investment) how much 20K will be worth in 15 years doesn't matter, either is fine... if you're at 20K now and putting in 1K per month and there's some expense ratio associated with the investment (index fund let's say) and trying to predict what you'll have, money-weighted is the way to go.

Time-weighted when we're talking investment performance when it's up and to the right is going to paint a rosier picture than it really is for many investments, certainly for any managed investment.

        
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. I'm just looking for a rough idea. I'm thinking about putting like $900 a month for 15 years and never takes it out until the end of 15 years.

Message 5 of 7
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the response. I'm just looking for a rough idea. I'm thinking about putting like $900 a month for 15 years and never takes it out until the end of 15 years.

A very, very rough guideline I go by is that money sitting in stocks today will double every 10 years. If the markets are particularly strong for a longer period of time (as they are now), that number goes up; if they don't do so well, it goes down a bit, but averaging out over your life invested money should double (or better) every 10 years. The amazing thing to think about there is that even a simple $10,000 investment in a child's name upon their birth would compound to almost $1 million dollars by the time they're old enough to retire.

If you're plugging into a calculator, somewhere around 8% should work. Do not take your results as gospel, but if you want to get a fuzzy ballpark, that'll do it.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the help/responses.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.