Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where should I put my money?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where should I put my money?

I think PenFed would be great for you, if you don't mind the HP's.

Their online savings is 2.00% and you could start laddering $1000 CD's (e.g., buy a 12 month CD out of savings every other month) which are currently 2.80% with them.

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just opened a CIT Savings account (literally an hour ago) that pays 2.45% APY, straight forward application process (15 mins) that ends with login access immediately, the only qualification for the rate is a monthly $100+ ACH deposit (not net deposit) or $25k average balance.  You will be able to link your checking account for the initial $100 minimum deposit during the application process and move money freely between the two accounts once trial deposit process is completed.

In the end it's just a place to hold your emergency funds and so that you can feed your checking account for monthly bills/expenses, as long you're able to freely move funds and is FDIC insured, no need to settle for 2nd level rates. My final choice came down to CIT Bank (2.45%), Memory Bank (2.40%), CIBC (2.39%) and a local bank Atlantic Stewardship Bank (2.43%).

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the input Smiley Happy I am mostly saving money to move out into an apartment when I transfer from community college in about 1 and a half years. I most likely won't be buying a house anytime soon but I want to have as much saved as possible. For now a savings account is probably what I will go with since it is easy and secure. 

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all for the input Smiley Happy I am mostly saving money to move out into an apartment when I transfer from community college in about 1 and a half years. I most likely won't be buying a house anytime soon but I want to have as much saved as possible. For now a savings account is probably what I will go with since it is easy and secure. 

So, it does not sound like you are putting away 10s of thousands.  More hundreds and building.  Check out this:

https://depositaccounts.com/savings/

There are plenty of 5% + savings accounts out there for lower dollar amounts.

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do you see the 5%?

Message 15 of 27
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I think any of the HY online options are good enough. There is ally, barclays, Marcus, discover , and amex they all offer very competitive rates that B&M banks can't compete with. 

I can give you an alternative option that may be a bit more complicated but you could just use 1 month Tbills. Last time i bought mine they were about 2.4% and you don't pay any local and state taxes on the interest . You do pay tax on fed level. I use my CC for any emergencies that need to be paid within the month. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bear in mind that there are no penalties for withdrawing the principal from a Roth.  Thus if you placed $5500 of your $9000 in a Roth and $3500 in a Discover savings, you cou;d still withdraw up to $5500 any time without penalty if you need it.  And since you are just saving up to move into an apartment I doubt you'll need more than the $3500 anyway.

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also make at least $1000 annually by opening bank accounts for the signup bonuses, which is a lot more than the interest from a high-yield savings.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have thought about signing up for bank accounts for the bonuses, are there any negatives in doing so?

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

No drawbacks.  But like anything else, spend some time researching it first, so that you know how to do it right.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/a-beginners-guide-to-bank-account-bonuses/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.