Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is using Debit Card nowdays?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who is using Debit Card nowdays?

@IaBoy62 wrote:

Been a couple years since I used my debit card... it looks brand new!! 

I work with several young people though and that is All they use.  I can't convince them of the benefits of credit in general or the value of rewards.  And the danger of swiping your debit card all over town. 

I'm in my early 30s and a lot of people my age and younger grew up seeing our parents struggle with debt issues (and the financial crisis didn't help), so I don't blame them for not bothering with credit where possible. The fraud issues will probably be less of a problem once chip becomes more widespread--as long as you don't use your debit card on websites, of course.

Speaking of fraud issues, I also notice a difference in thinking with the younger generation vs. older people--young people hate the chip cards because they don't require a PIN while older people are glad they don't require a PIN. Cat Tongue 

Message 61 of 81
Namaste7
Established Contributor

ATM - ATM withdrawals and bank center transactions only
CCs - 100% of purchases

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 62 of 81
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@taxdoc wrote:
CCs - 100% of purchases

Exactly.

I deposit business checks and make cash withdawls a couple times a month at the ATM. I have not be inside my bank in a year. I also load my Target Redcard with my debit card when necessary.

Message 63 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxdoc wrote:
CCs - 100% of purchases

+ 2 Smiley Wink

Message 64 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never use my debit card for anything other than withdrawing cash out of my banks ATM (which is rare anyways). It's cool to get cash back at places like the supermarket and pharmacies. Essentially a free ATM and you are getting points on the transaction with your CC. 

Message 65 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Up to about 2 weeks ago (I misplaced my debit card then, and perhaps I should call that in now that I'm thinking about it...) I used my debit for everything. I am about to pay most if not all of my debt in the next two wks so I plan on using my CCs as a debit card (once I read enough on how to do it properly).

Message 66 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I never use my debit card for anything other than withdrawing cash out of my banks ATM (which is rare anyways). It's cool to get cash back at places like the supermarket and pharmacies. Essentially a free ATM and you are getting points on the transaction with your CC. 

I've never tried that. Can you tell me more? I'snt that like a cash advance? Just dont want to incur fees.

Message 67 of 81
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

only for the rare atm withdrawal which I cant even remember when that was. I dont even carry it with me. CCs for everything

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 68 of 81
minski
Established Contributor

Yeah. I've never used cash back because I was afraid it was like a cash advance and charge interest. But I did a little reading and if I am understanding correctly, it is kind of like charging yourself on the credit card, right? So, I'm buying $100 of groceries and I ask for $25 cash back. On my credit card I will see $125 charged. In my wallet is $25 cash. Correct me if I'm wrong. I would like to know too as I am now interested in taking advantage of this when offered. 

Message 69 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@minski wrote:

Yeah. I've never used cash back because I was afraid it was like a cash advance and charge interest. But I did a little reading and if I am understanding correctly, it is kind of like charging yourself on the credit card, right? So, I'm buying $100 of groceries and I ask for $25 cash back. On my credit card I will see $125 charged. In my wallet is $25 cash. Correct me if I'm wrong. I would like to know too as I am now interested in taking advantage of this when offered. 

The only credit card I have that offers this is Discover, and they call it 'cash over'.  You can get cash back when using the card and it's treated just like part of the purchase.  I've not used it in years, but as far as I know you don't get cash rewards from getting cash back (or at least you're not supposed to). 

Here's a link to their website that explains it a bit better:

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/cash-over-purchases.html

Note that you can many times also get cash back when you use your debit card at a grocery store, post office, etc. and choose to do the transaction as a 'PIN' transaction.  Conversely, using your Discover card to get 'cash over' does not require the use of a PIN, and is a credit transaction (not debit).

Message 70 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.