cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who sent me 1099-C cancellation of debt form?

tag
seekcredit

Who sent me 1099-C cancellation of debt form?

HI everyone,

is there a way to find out if any of my credit cards issuer reported the 1099C to the IRS..

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Who sent me 1099-C cancellation of debt form?

If you had $600 or more forgiven, they are required to send you the form and provide that information to the IRS.  If you were forgiven less than $600, you are still required to file it on the "Other Income" line of your 1040.

Message 2 of 14
seekcredit

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If you had $600 or more forgiven, they are required to send you the form and provide that information to the IRS.  If you were forgiven less than $600, you are still required to file it on the "Other Income" line of your 1040.

Thank you Boston,

how do I know if they sent it or not

Message 3 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@seekcredit wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Thank you Boston,

If they sent you the form, it was sent to the IRS.    If it is less than $600, they don't HAVE to send the form to you (but you are still required to report it), but if you are sent the form, you can be certain that the IRS does too!

Message 4 of 14
seekcredit

@longtimelurker wrote:

@seekcredit wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Thank you Boston,

If they sent you the form, it was sent to the IRS.    If it is less than $600, they don't HAVE to send the form to you (but you are still required to report it), but if you are sent the form, you can be certain that the IRS does too!

Thank you @longtimelurker

I did not file for the last two years therfore, the IRS does not have my actual address!

I tried calling the IRS but due to COVID they're not taking phone calls.

Message 5 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Have you been notified by creditors that you had debt canceled?

Message 6 of 14
seekcredit

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Have you been notified by creditors that you had debt canceled?

No I have not but that is because they don't have my new address!

Message 7 of 14
203bravo
Established Contributor

Although I don't have an answer.... I believe the OP is attempting to ask is there a way from him/her to find out if a creditor issued a 1099-C that the OP may not be aware of.. such as contacting the IRS to find out if one has been submitted.   Not that he/she has received a 1099-C and is wondering if the IRS also received it. 

Message 8 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@seekcredit wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@seekcredit wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Thank you Boston,

Thank you @longtimelurker

I did not file for the last two years therfore, the IRS does not have my actual address!

I tried calling the IRS but due to COVID they're not taking phone calls.

Sure they are, you just need to know how to get through. I spoke to them earlier this week.

1. The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040.
  2. The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
  3. Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
  4. Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
  5. Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
  6. Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
  7. When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
  8. After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
  9. Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
  10. Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

Message 9 of 14
seekcredit

@203bravo wrote:

Although I don't have an answer.... I believe the OP is attempting to ask is there a way from him/her to find out if a creditor issued a 1099-C that the OP may not be aware of.. such as contacting the IRS to find out if one has been submitted.   Not that he/she has received a 1099-C and is wondering if the IRS also received it. 

Finally, thank you for translating...

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.