cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I soak CC issuers for as much as possible and enjoy it.

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Why I soak CC issuers for as much as possible and enjoy it.

In 2004 my brother, who was a struggling photographer with nearly no assets, and a ton of CC debt, died of a heart attack at 49 yo. Me and my sister were appointed by the probate court to handle his small estate. His assets were not even enough to bury him. Many of the credit cards which he had always paid ontime but only the minimum payment. Many of these credit card issuers started calling to receive the sad news once a payment was missed. They would call often, to the point of harrassment. Once, my then 75yo Mother answered the phone with one of them. She was crying, so she handed me the phone. This issuer had the nerve to tell me after telling her, that it would dishonor his memory to not pay the balance. I was mad as he@#, and gave them his cemetary address and told them to ask him to pay it. Ever since that day, I have not paid a penny of interest on any credit card with my own money, and never will. I soak them for every cent in SUB's and Rewards I can. Many cards get SD'd after satisfying the SUB. Truth is, I do not need the money I get from them, but I get a real thrill making sure they all in the end lose money on my accounts. After I saw the cold heart of some of these blood suckers, I want none of these big banks making money off of me...credit cards with credit unions, I do not feel this same animosity towards. One of my credit union cards is used and paid by my sister at 4.99% interest, so they do make some interest on that account, but even that interest is not paid by me. Sometimes, I almost feel guilty for how I play these CC issuers, but then I remember the evening my crying Mother handed me that phone, and then SD the card I just soaked 200 dollar SUB from and smile. I do not suck every dime I can for need or greed as much as for revenge and justice. Credit card issuers made my Mom cry...they must pay!!!!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Re: Why I soak CC issuers for as much as possible and enjoy it.

I do the same thing, in fact I never even put money in the major banks, only in my NFCU lol.
Message 2 of 12
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
I do the same thing, in fact I never even put money in the major banks, only in my NFCU lol.

I also have all my checking and small savings in the CU. My big money is in Vanguard Fiduciary Trust...401k, and Retirement tax deferred. Over 400K there. The big banks however, are heartless, soulless, businesses that only understand green. They use SUB's, Rewards, and 0% BT offers to entice the masses, knowing most will eventually fail to PIF and become revolvers. Most will just be unable to resist the latest, greatest, new TV or game system they simply don't have the money for elsewhere. Or they will have their Refrigerator go out while they are dead broke. Most people are not disciplined enough to save for emergencies like the bad Refrigerator and use cards for that. A credit card is a lousy substitute for an emergency savings account.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 3 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Your approach is understandble given the situation, but basically pointless (the tiny amount you "suck" from them is invisible to them).   Better to get politically involved and try to get laws passed etc to stop these practices.  <mod edit>  Let's leave that out of it. Thanks, --UB

Message 4 of 12
moosemoney
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Your approach is understandble given the situation, but basically pointless (the tiny amount you "suck" from them is invisible to them).   Better to get politically involved and try to get laws passed etc to stop these practices. 

+1

Message 5 of 12
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Sarge12

I understand your bitterness and although I don't revel in revenge or hate, I will say that when my mother died a few years ago, Chase, Capital One and Dept of Labor FCU  (her only accounts) went out of their way to inform us that "we" were not responsible personally for any debt and should there be any claim they would file an estate claim. I don't know if they were looking at her accounts to answer us when we provided a "death of account holder" notice to them, but all were very accommodating and offered the obligatory condolences. 

I should note that I too take advantage of cash and 0% promotions including BT's,  but don't "churn" per se - if they offer it, I'll take it that's just smart. 

Message 6 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@pipeguy wrote:

@sarge12

I understand your bitterness and although I don't revel in revenge or hate, I will say that when my mother died a few years ago, Chase, Capital One and Dept of Labor FCU  (her only accounts) went out of their way to inform us that "we" were not responsible personally for any debt and should there be any claim they would file an estate claim. I don't know if they were looking at her accounts to answer us when we provided a "death of account holder" notice to them, but all were very accommodating and offered the obligatory condolences. 

I should note that I too take advantage of cash and 0% promotions including BT's,  but don't "churn" per se - if they offer it, I'll take it that's just smart. 

+1

@sarge12, I'm sorry your family had such a terrible time after your brother's death, but my experience handling my grandfather's matters with the banks was actually quite smooth.  He also passed without an estate, so any and all bills simply didn't get paid.

The banks were actually the easiest to deal with; I simply drafted a form letter stating his name, DOB, SS#, date of death, and that he had passed away with no estate and no assets, and to "please update your records and not contact us about this matter again".  I also included a photocopy of his death certificate with the letter; after the banks got it we never heard another peep.

The hospital, doctor, and ambulance bills were another matter... the ambulance company in particular sent a couple of bills after my initial letter was sent, but on the third round I sent a copy of my letter (and photocopy of the death certificate) to every address on the bill (street address, PO box, and receivables) and that finally did the trick... no more letters, and no phone calls.

I truly regret that your mother had to go through what she did, but that's not the universal experience.  I can also understand how that experience shaped your opinion of the 'big banks', and rightfully so.

Message 7 of 12
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@sarge12

It was certainly not all of them that acted that way, and I'm not really bitter, but the few that did make such comments let me know that we were not dealing with a group with compassion. These are not the friendly banks of the past...it is big business, looking to make profits. I too do not do any real churning and ms is definitely out. I just take full advantage of the perks they put out there to attract new customers to join the flock as a revolver paying 20% interest...as most will. I, however will get their SUB and then use only the card that pays the most in rewards. I will then always PIF every month to deny the issuers any interest. The card issuer who actually made my Mother cry, was whoever handled Best Buy credit cards then. I can not use these SUB's and such against them because that would require me to buy anything there, which I will not do. One of his creditors was very nice to my Mom, telling her she was not responsible for his debts, and not to let any other creditors guilt her into paying them...she was very nice, but she was the only one. The rest ranged from indifferent, to downright ugly.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 8 of 12
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Your approach is understandble given the situation, but basically pointless (the tiny amount you "suck" from them is invisible to them).   Better to get politically involved and try to get laws passed etc to stop these practices.  <mod edit>  Let's leave that out of it. Thanks, --UB

I know it is a drop in a very big bucket, and will not greatly harm the big banks, but it makes me feel better. That is all that matters.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheBoondocks wrote:

I feel ya about avoiding the big banks, especaially after seeing my Early Warning report. Still a little pissed about that. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.