Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I qualify?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will I qualify?

Hi, I'm seeking to get a personal loan of 25k. My credit history is only 1 year and 2 months old but my score is 750 for all three bureaus. I'm active duty military and I pull in 27k gross with a less than 5% debt to income ratio because the military pays for mostly everything. I have 100% on time payments with 2 credits card and a 1k credit builder loan that is now closed. I have already factored in the payments, insurance and a little safety net for maintence. With all of this will I qualify for the loan or will I have to wait until I have 2 years of credit history?  Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
IQn2D
New Contributor

Re: Will I qualify?

What is the 25K loan for if I may asked. Car, Motorcycle, Boat??? What rank are you? I figure maybe a E-4 or E-5. Seems to me you should have a good amount of money saved up. I gather that thought from your post, sinced the Army pays for everything. You most likely live in the barracks or are you ghost riding. I know you got to be eating in the chow hall. If you have a low DTI then you should have a good amount of money saved up. Again, you said the Army pay for everything. 

Starting Score: EQ612, TU644, EX622 4-22-17
Current Score: EQ720, TU728, EX705 02-18-18
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm an E-4 and I want to use the loan to buy a car and few other things. I have 10k of expendable savings but I want to use it to pay off the loan if i am able to qualify. If 25k is not feasible, how about a 20k loan?

Message 3 of 9
IQn2D
New Contributor

Here are my two option from you Soldier.

Option 1: Go see if you can find a used car from the POV resale lot on post. You may find a diamond in the ruff for less than 10,000. By doing this it will allow you to build back up your reserve. You will own your vehicle. 

Option 2: Go to the Credit Union on post and apply for a loan. I'm sure you will qualify but may get a better rate. You are a first time buyer so that may get you some extra incentivives. They also have repo cars for sale. 

Your focus should be saving for your furture. Too often I have seen Soldiers waste thier money. You are young enough to begin saving for your retirement/transition. That's if you plan on making the military a career. 

Have you talked to your Team Leader, Squad Leader, Platoon Sergeant?

Ultimately, you will do what you want but your leadership should be giving a chance to help. I know that you may not want them in your business. I was in your shoes many moons ago. I still wear the uniform to this day. All I can say is stop and think...

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your words of wisdom, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely go see the finance office on base Monday to see if they can assist me in going about this in a smarter way.

Message 5 of 9
IQn2D
New Contributor

Army Community Service is where you need to go. Peace

Message 6 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Hi, I'm seeking to get a personal loan of 25k. My credit history is only 1 year and 2 months old but my score is 750 for all three bureaus. I'm active duty military and I pull in 27k gross with a less than 5% debt to income ratio because the military pays for mostly everything. I have 100% on time payments with 2 credits card and a 1k credit builder loan that is now closed. I have already factored in the payments, insurance and a little safety net for maintence. With all of this will I qualify for the loan or will I have to wait until I have 2 years of credit history?  Thanks for the help.

I don't think you would qualify because you would be getting over your head in debt.

But even if you do qualify, you shouldn't do it. It's too much debt for you.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly speaking, I feel you shouldn't take out a loan. You have already saved $10,000. Save another $10,000 and then buy a car and other things. Believe me, it's not a good financial move to incur debt unecessarily. 

You have a good credit score. You should focus on building credit. Rest is up to you.

If you're considering a credit union, then Alliant Credit Union is a good option. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You shouldn't have a problem getting your loan. While my AAoA was considerably longer, I was in the re-building stage, had one CC with a $300 CL, had just gotten back in with AT&T, had removed a few of my baddies, and I was approved for $18K auto loan (only took $13K of it). Good luck and thnak you for your service.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.