cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering if I should join NFCU...

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Contributor

Wondering if I should join NFCU...

Hey gang! So, I wasn't going to apply for NFCU for awhile, but with the San Diego Chapter option out, my only viable option to get in would be through my veteran grandfather. The thing is, my side of the family doesn't sit well with my grandfather and we rarely communicate (terrible, I know), so, I have no way of knowing if he's even part of NFCU to give an access code. I, however, could call or go to a branch since he's technically eligible which says on the website I am as well, since I have one about 20 minutes away... Should I call or go inside?

 

I'm mostly inquiring because I definitely want to start a banking relationship with them, since I see they have excellent customer service and fraud protection services, but I also wouldn't mind getting a Platinum @ 8.74% if possible. Since I'm in a CL growing stage, this might be a good opportunity. However, I have recently acquired some new cards in the last couple months so some stats:

 

Scores: 743 (EX); 745 (TU)** These may be outdated by a few weeks, so, will update asap

New accounts: 4 total between April and May

Inquiries: 4-5 roughly

Oldest account is 3 years old

Currently I have 5 credit cards

Income: College Student (15000) with total access up to 54,000 (income, parent income, grant/scholarships)

Util: 3-4%

 

I'm actually pretty satisfied with my line up, so wondering if gardening would be better, but I'd feel awful if I missed an opportunity with NFCU when I still have a chance. What would you do? Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Regular Contributor

Re: Wondering if I should join NFCU...

Even if you're not ready to get a credit card, you can join and open a savings and checking account so that you're in when you're ready.  I did that with PenFed, I joined and threw some money in an account to sit so that I'll be an established customer if/when I'm ready to apply for a credit card through them. It will also give me another option for easy rate shopping when the time comes to buy my next car some day. 
Message 2 of 18
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Wondering if I should join NFCU...


@Neve wrote:

Hey gang! So, I wasn't going to apply for NFCU for awhile, but with the San Diego Chapter option out, my only viable option to get in would be through my veteran grandfather. The thing is, my side of the family doesn't sit well with my grandfather and we rarely communicate (terrible, I know), so, I have no way of knowing if he's even part of NFCU to give an access code. I, however, could call or go to a branch since he's technically eligible which says on the website I am as well, since I have one about 20 minutes away... Should I call or go inside?

 

@I'm mostly inquiring because I definitely want to start a banking relationship with them, since I see they have excellent customer service and fraud protection services, but I also wouldn't mind getting a Platinum @ 8.74% if possible. Since I'm in a CL growing stage, this might be a good opportunity. However, I have recently acquired some new cards in the last couple months so some stats:

 

Scores: 743 (EX); 745 (TU)** These may be outdated by a few weeks, so, will update asap

New accounts: 4 total between April and May

Inquiries: 4-5 roughly

Oldest account is 3 years old

Currently I have 5 credit cards

Income: College Student (15000) with total access up to 54,000 (income, parent income, grant/scholarships)

Util: 3-4%

 

I'm actually pretty satisfied with my line up, so wondering if gardening would be better, but I'd feel awful if I missed an opportunity with NFCU when I still have a chance. What would you do? Thanks!


IMO, I believe if your veteran Grandfather is a NFCU member, you will need both his access code and signature on the membership application form. Going into the branch without these won't help. I went on NFCU's online portal and noted that when veteran is selected, it asks for affiliation, employment status, and years of active duty status. So at a minimum, you will need that info.

GOALS: Garden til APR 2020 and 800 Club


SEP 2019: EX 791, TU 797, EQ 800
JUN 2019: EX 788, TU 794, EQ 779
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $18.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 3 of 18
Contributor

Re: Wondering if I should join NFCU...


@Movingon40 wrote:
Even if you're not ready to get a credit card, you can join and open a savings and checking account so that you're in when you're ready.  I did that with PenFed, I joined and threw some money in an account to sit so that I'll be an established customer if/when I'm ready to apply for a credit card through them. It will also give me another option for easy rate shopping when the time comes to buy my next car some day. 

I did the same with PenFed and...! Probably should have waited on the credit card, like you are doing, very wise! Yeah, I'm considering on waiting to app on the credit cards and just establishing a relationship first.

 

A quick update: I asked my dad to ask my aunt if she could give me more specifics on my grandfather, but turns out her husband, my uncle, is considering to join in a few weeks and he says he'd be happy to help me get in... The thing is, even though he's eligible and will have an access code, the website doesn't have an option for aunts and uncles... Would I be able to join through him if I called, perhaps?

Message 4 of 18
Established Contributor

Re: Wondering if I should join NFCU... ? ? ? ?

 

I you really want an NAVY credit card, provide your Grandfather the respect he deserves because he is both your Grandfather & a Veteran.

 

If you are not willing to call and ask your Grandfather to do this for  you, then put the idea away and forget about it.

.

 


@Neve wrote:

Hey gang! So, I wasn't going to apply for NFCU for awhile, but with the San Diego Chapter option out, my only viable option to get in would be through my veteran grandfather. The thing is, my side of the family doesn't sit well with my grandfather and we rarely communicate (terrible, I know), so, I have no way of knowing if he's even part of NFCU to give an access code. I, however, could call or go to a branch since he's technically eligible which says on the website I am as well, since I have one about 20 minutes away... Should I call or go inside?

 

@I'm mostly inquiring because I definitely want to start a banking relationship with them, since I see they have excellent customer service and fraud protection services, but I also wouldn't mind getting a Platinum @ 8.74% if possible. Since I'm in a CL growing stage, this might be a good opportunity. However, I have recently acquired some new cards in the last couple months so some stats:

 

Scores: 743 (EX); 745 (TU)** These may be outdated by a few weeks, so, will update asap

New accounts: 4 total between April and May

Inquiries: 4-5 roughly

Oldest account is 3 years old

Currently I have 5 credit cards

Income: College Student (15000) with total access up to 54,000 (income, parent income, grant/scholarships)

Util: 3-4%

 

I'm actually pretty satisfied with my line up, so wondering if gardening would be better, but I'd feel awful if I missed an opportunity with NFCU when I still have a chance. What would you do? Thanks!


05/03/16 Fico 8 Scores: EQ 546, TU 501, EX 548
09/01/16 Fico 8 Scores: EQ 662, TU 628, EX 657
10/04/16 Fico 8 Scores: EQ 692, TU 665, EX 686
01/15/17 Fico 8 Scores: EQ 706, TU 670, EX 687 * all Yellow / Good
Message 5 of 18
Contributor

Re: Wondering if I should join NFCU... ? ? ? ?


@Sebastian503 wrote:

 

I you really want an NAVY credit card, provide your Grandfather the respect he deserves because he is both your Grandfather & a Veteran.

 

If you are not willing to call and ask your Grandfather to do this for  you, then put the idea away and forget about it.

.

 


@Neve wrote:

Hey gang! So, I wasn't going to apply for NFCU for awhile, but with the San Diego Chapter option out, my only viable option to get in would be through my veteran grandfather. The thing is, my side of the family doesn't sit well with my grandfather and we rarely communicate (terrible, I know), so, I have no way of knowing if he's even part of NFCU to give an access code. I, however, could call or go to a branch since he's technically eligible which says on the website I am as well, since I have one about 20 minutes away... Should I call or go inside?

 

@I'm mostly inquiring because I definitely want to start a banking relationship with them, since I see they have excellent customer service and fraud protection services, but I also wouldn't mind getting a Platinum @ 8.74% if possible. Since I'm in a CL growing stage, this might be a good opportunity. However, I have recently acquired some new cards in the last couple months so some stats:

 

Scores: 743 (EX); 745 (TU)** These may be outdated by a few weeks, so, will update asap

New accounts: 4 total between April and May

Inquiries: 4-5 roughly

Oldest account is 3 years old

Currently I have 5 credit cards

Income: College Student (15000) with total access up to 54,000 (income, parent income, grant/scholarships)

Util: 3-4%

 

I'm actually pretty satisfied with my line up, so wondering if gardening would be better, but I'd feel awful if I missed an opportunity with NFCU when I still have a chance. What would you do? Thanks!



While I appreciate the advice and I have thought about it, it would have been crass to dial him up for this, I'd imagine. That's why I responded and said that I asked my father and aunt, his actual children, if they had any information first. Considering my grandfather stopped talking to my father over something foolish and they have a bad history together, I'd appreciate it if you'd try to understand why I feel intimidated to reach out to him. I'm sorry if I rubbed you or anyone else the wrong way. 

 

Message 6 of 18
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wondering if I should join NFCU... ? ? ? ?

I got your PM earlier today and responded to you. You won't have any problems getting the account open buddy.
Starting Score: EQ 606 TU 623 EX 598 - April 17'
Current Score: EQ 644 TU 664 EX 667 - May 18’'
Goal Score: EX 750 TU 750 EX 750


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 18
Moderator

Re: Wondering if I should join NFCU... ? ? ? ?


@Neve wrote:

@Sebastian503 wrote:

 

I you really want an NAVY credit card, provide your Grandfather the respect he deserves because he is both your Grandfather & a Veteran.

 

If you are not willing to call and ask your Grandfather to do this for  you, then put the idea away and forget about it.

.

 



While I appreciate the advice and I have thought about it, it would have been crass to dial him up for this, I'd imagine. That's why I responded and said that I asked my father and aunt, his actual children, if they had any information first. Considering my grandfather stopped talking to my father over something foolish and they have a bad history together, I'd appreciate it if you'd try to understand why I feel intimidated to reach out to him. I'm sorry if I rubbed you or anyone else the wrong way. 

 


Absolutely no need to apologize.  Unfortunately I too have close family members that I don't communicate with and I wouldn't even think of calling them for something like joining a credit union.  I've been a member of NFCU for 30+ years and I hope that you are successful in your attempt to get in.  Good luck.

Message 8 of 18
Valued Contributor

Re: Wondering if I should join NFCU...

1) Yes, I can see how it would seem bush league to only call Grandpa, when one wants something
It's too bad that you see it has these other ppl are 'his kids' vs you 'only' being a grandchild...heck in most families the grandchildren are the PREFERRED children 😋
This is off topic but go build a relationship with your Grand Pops, so what he and your Pops are at odds, should that rob your relationship too?

2) Someone mentioned needing the access code AND a signature...my kids didn't need anything other than my access code and have never seen a branch

3) If I'm not mistaken once Pops joins you can join via family anyway, military or not, also Navy allows ppl in the same house hold to join, even just a roommate
So even Auntie joins, all you'd need to do is get a State ID with Auntie's address at worse, join, then change your address in a month or so

Good Luck

P.S. Who knows if you and GrandDad become cool it may lead to GrandDad and Dad being cool again
Best Wishes
Message 9 of 18
Established Contributor

Re: Wondering if I should join NFCU... ? ? ? ?


@Sebastian503 wrote:

I you really want an NAVY credit card, provide your Grandfather the respect he deserves because he is both your Grandfather & a Veteran.

If you are not willing to call and ask your Grandfather to do this for  you, then put the idea away and forget about it.

.

You have NO IDEA what kind of person the grandfather is.  He could be a terrible human being.  Don't blindly encourage ppl to communicate with family members who may be vile human beings.  Very short sighted.  Bad advice.

 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.