cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would temporarily working in a different state make me eligible to join geo-restricted credit unions

tag
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

Would temporarily working in a different state make me eligible to join geo-restricted credit unions

Long story short, im in Minnesota and there's a hurricane going on down by Florida i'm sure were all familiar with. My employer is looking for employees to volunteer to fly down to Tampa for a few weeks to help temporarily help out, and when i'm down there I plan on looking at different Florida credit unions online and see if there may be any potentially worth joining. (Without going into much detail, I work at a medical supply company and they're going to need lots of help getting medical supplies out due to the hurricane)

Pretty much all credit unions say they serve individuals that live, work, worship or attend school in whatever counties. I'd be working in Hillsborough county if I end up going to Florida for a few weeks to work, would that make me eligible? For example Space Coast Credit Union and MidFlorida Credit Union both list Hillsborough as an eligible county if you live, work, worship or attend school and since i'd be working there (Even if it's only a few weeks) would that make me eligible? From what I understand you just need to be in the field of membership when you join and obviously Once a member, always a member, even if you leave the field of membership.

Credit Union Service Area | Counties & Zip Codes | MIDFLORIDA Credit Union

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Would temporarily working in a different state make me eligible to join geo-restricted credit un

@Royalbacon wrote:

Long story short, im in Minnesota and there's a hurricane going on down by Florida i'm sure were all familiar with. My employer is looking for employees to volunteer to fly down to Tampa for a few weeks to help temporarily help out, and when i'm down there I plan on looking at different Florida credit unions online and see if there may be any potentially worth joining. (Without going into much detail, I work at a medical supply company and they're going to need lots of help getting medical supplies out due to the hurricane)

Pretty much all credit unions say they serve individuals that live, work, worship or attend school in whatever counties. I'd be working in Hillsborough county if I end up going to Florida for a few weeks to work, would that make me eligible? For example Space Coast Credit Union and MidFlorida Credit Union both list Hillsborough as an eligible county if you live, work, worship or attend school and since i'd be working there (Even if it's only a few weeks) would that make me eligible? From what I understand you just need to be in the field of membership when you join and obviously Once a member, always a member, even if you leave the field of membership.

Credit Union Service Area | Counties & Zip Codes | MIDFLORIDA Credit Union

My guess is that you'll probably qualify, but it will likely depend on what they mean by "Work" - does this mean they require you to have a physical work address in the area where you can receive mail ?    You could probably also give them a call and explain the situation and I'm sure they'd give you more details.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.