Would you? Bank wants selfie

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Would you? Bank wants selfie

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@cr101 wrote:

That's my concern, that somehow a video of me verifying my identity makes it on the darkweb. It's a long shot, but not worth the risk (for me), at least for a bank account. 

Yet your mug is being recorded every time you go in the bank, pull through the drive-thru, roll up to an atm.  Your penmanship is photographed everytime you endorse a check or write a check.  I'd rather my bank be able to pull up a current pic. of my mug and not something copied off of sm from yesteryear. 

Don't check out at Walmart while using a cc/debit card.  Big brother is everywhere, why not arm your bank with current info. or a really good likeness of you to compare when they could one day be in doubt about identity?  Also, banks are accountable, they need to cover their butts.  I'd rather a bank be smart, current with data collection rather than lagging.  They do it for their protection and yours.

That's not the same as what OP is talking about. They're afraid of a data breach and someone using it to open accounts.

I know.   Eta: https://fully-verified.com/the-key-to-the-bank-account-video-identification-explained-in-10-main-poi...

Whether selfie and/or video...AI (additionally a human) goes by a current or realtime request as explained in link above. 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 11 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cr101 wrote:

That's my concern, that somehow a video of me verifying my identity makes it on the darkweb. It's a long shot, but not worth the risk (for me), at least for a bank account. 

Fraudsters go after low hanging fruit. It's like thieves who will go door to door and skip the locked ones. Unless they are targeting you specifically for some reason, they're going to auto-fill info for accounts that don't require extra steps.

Message 12 of 47
morethan20yaks
New Contributor

Doesn't seem very high risk to me, considering the age we live in.

Maybe hold the ID against a piece of paper that reads "For verification purposes at BBFCU on 11/28/2021 only" or the likes. Would make the selfie video useless to anyone else.

Message 13 of 47
calyx
Super Contributor

One of my CUs took a picture of me when I applied to open an account at the branch ~11y ago   - it really wouldn't phase me at all, but we all have our tolerances of what we want to deal with.   So yes, I would, if I wanted an account at that bank.   Whether you do is up to you.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 14 of 47
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's important to think about the other side of things. My first bank account was in the late 90s. Walked in, showed my drivers license and maybe Social Security card. They could look at my ID and at me and could be fairly confident it was legit. Got an online account a few years ago. They basically pulled my credit and computer algorithms did fraud checks to see if it seemed like me or a fraudster. No photo check there but I wouldn't have minded. I've uploaded pics of ID to a couple banks for credit cards.

Banks wanting to verify you isn't a problem for me. It's not like they want to dig through a bunch of super private stuff. They just want to *see* that I look like the ID. The photo itself isn't a big security risk. It's a picture of me, something that's likely out there anyway. What are they going to do with it that I'd be afraid of? I'd rather a bank want to verify a person than the opposite and let anyone open an account with info that's available on the darkweb.

Good sense. I held a Government Clearance a few years back and guess what happened. Government of all places who you would think would been the most security conscious (Office of Personnel Management) was breached and i still have my letter where my own electronic fingerprints and who knows what all else was jeopardized. Official letter at that. 

Institutions especially SOME banks are too loose with your identy info requests if you ask me. Where's the guarantee? That;s why for me Synchrony can pound sand. My Credit Unions i'm only happy to provide the reasonable request of picture of D/L and to a lesser extent SS Card.

Asking for Selfies is so childish and kiddiefied of businesses that go to that extent. Which is a pretty good judge of them how they don't take customer's interests that serious.

Message 15 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep. Totally would. 

Message 16 of 47
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@cr101 For the bank asking for a video, just send them the selfie shot.  Tell them, its the best you can do.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 17 of 47
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Gunnerboy wrote:

@cr101 For the bank asking for a video, just send them the selfie shot.  Tell them, its the best you can do.

Just send them a pic of you dressed up as a furry.   Tell them that that is the real you.   Hey, they asked for it.

Message 18 of 47
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I personally don't have a problem with the photo. (I did it for AOD.)

Did anyone ask if the photo or video will be deleted once identity has been verified?

Message 19 of 47
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

I personally don't have a problem with the photo. (I did it for AOD.)

Did anyone ask if the photo or video will be deleted once identity has been verified?

Would store the particulars of data necessary for future cross referencing because anytime someone tries to open an account the selfie and/or video would have a particular instruction on that particular day...real-time... (eyes looking left while holding ID  in left hand then in video you would have to say today's date, name of Institution) type of thing. AI would review. Not an exact example😜 I'm giving here but  the gist of it.... well, read link above I posted upthread to get a clearer idea.👍

Then last step(s)crosses over a humans desk for stamp of approval or not, account set up, credit limits for credit products, and so on like humans will continue to do. It's "Just an example" of how banking institutions that are Up-to-date with current data collection p&p like this can more effectively protect you and themselves from evil-do'ers always lurking in the background armed with stale information.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.