Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YNAB(You Need A Budget)?

tag
Atonswife
Contributor

YNAB(You Need A Budget)?

I know a few have recommended this site for budgeting. I'm currently using Mint but starting to get a little fustrated because a lot of my accounts are not updating and I have to keep removing and adding them.
I would like to know if YNAB allows you to set goals like paying off debt and outlines a strategy to do so? For instance, will it tell me to pay an extra $$ on this card until paid then move to the next? I guess i'm trying to see if it gives you strategies like the "snowball" or "avalanche" methods to help you achieve your goal or is it strictly a budget that simply tracks and keeps your spending organized?
I really hope my question makes sense. LOL
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
As of 11/02/15:
EX-679, TU-707, EQ-690 (FICO 08),7/31/15 691 (FICO 04)
CAP ONE QS-$4,250, CAP ONE QS-$2K, CAP ONE VISA SIG-$7K, JETBLUE AMEX-$5K, DCU PLATINUM VISA-$6.5K, AMAZON STORE-$5k, BANANA REPUBLIC-$5k

AU ACCTS: CAP ONE QS-$1.5K, CAP ONE CLASSIC-3K, BLOOMINGDALES-$3K, NORDSTROMS-$1K
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jl4
Established Contributor

Re: YNAB(You Need A Budget)?

YNAB will train you to use the envelope system in digital form. If you’re good at sticking to the category limits, it’ll work well for you. 

The hardest part is starting out unless you prefix paychecks for the month. 

Snowballing and the the like is more or less something you’ll have to do on your own, though a spreadsheet with balances and payments would be enough to track that.

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 2 of 4
Atonswife
Contributor

Thanks you so much for the reply. The envelope system seems simple enough. I think i'm going to give it a try.
As of 11/02/15:
EX-679, TU-707, EQ-690 (FICO 08),7/31/15 691 (FICO 04)
CAP ONE QS-$4,250, CAP ONE QS-$2K, CAP ONE VISA SIG-$7K, JETBLUE AMEX-$5K, DCU PLATINUM VISA-$6.5K, AMAZON STORE-$5k, BANANA REPUBLIC-$5k

AU ACCTS: CAP ONE QS-$1.5K, CAP ONE CLASSIC-3K, BLOOMINGDALES-$3K, NORDSTROMS-$1K
Message 3 of 4
Appleman
Valued Contributor

YNAB allows you to set various goals. You can set a goal date to pay off something and YNAB will tell you how much to fund each month to meet the goal. You can also set monthly goals for amount to pay or even an account balance goal.

I have categories for all of the big bill that come up during the year, property taxes, vehicle taxes, Christmas fund etc. It is nice to have the money waiting to be paid out versus worrying about how to come up with $1,000 or more when the bill arrives.

I use YNAB a little unconventionally where I forecast out my debt and go negative in my To Be Budgeted amount. This helps me realize that each dollar already has a job and I can't spend the increased cash balances in my accounts (they are there to pay Taxes or something).

That being said I always have the next month funded prior to the end of the current month. That way I do not bounce any payments.

If I get extra a make extra payments on loans and have been able to pay ahead a few notes by over a year.

YNAB has really changed my relationship with money. While it does not have a true Avalnce or Snowball feature, you can fund a snowball category and make an extra payment on either you lowest balance card or highest interest card, accomplishing the same thing.

The most important thing is that you are making a budget and not creating new debt.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.