Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zelle...little Heads Up

tag
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Re: Zelle...little Heads Up

Wow, I may have to reconsider Zelle usage as I have it personally and business . . . I've read the warning but didn't realize the scams can be via text also. That's scary, especially if there's no recourse for a refund!!! Smiley Frustrated

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 11 of 33
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

I understand that Zelle is not responsible... but the funds were on deposit with Wells Fargo.

...doesn't that mean that the funds are secured by the FDIC?

Here's an article on the subject. Wells Fargo is the bank mentioned. It explains the bank's reasoning behind not reimbursing victims.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/06/business/payments-fraud-zelle-banks.html

Can't see the article... there's a pay wall.

Maybe I should Zelle them some cash?

The banks reasoning is simply that they don't want to lose the money either.  If the funds were in a deposit account with any financial institution insured by the FDIC or NCUA and the funds were taken fraudulently, then the FI IS responsible.

If the victim authorized the transaction and got scammed, that's another ball of wax.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 12 of 33
GApeachy
Super Contributor

I get smishing all the time but has anyone else been getting phone calls in the middle of the night where the caller plays dumb? I said hello, he said hello, I said hello, he mumbled something and I woke up enough to realize I just needed to hang up without saying another word. Then I got text messages ...one was that I called him first ...I knew not to respond to that either because obviously he woke me up. I figured someone was trying to put a name to a phone number.  Then another text came in telling me to quit texting him. I blocked the number but while I was blocking I noticed google assistant was trying to transcribe another call from him. He either hung up or my just blocking that number prevented him from leaving a final message. 

I can't help but wonder if her texting 'NO' that that was all they needed....her name...and with the phone number gave them all the info needed to get those funds.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 13 of 33
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

I understand that Zelle is not responsible... but the funds were on deposit with Wells Fargo.

Here's an article on the subject. Wells Fargo is the bank mentioned. It explains the bank's reasoning behind not reimbursing victims.

The banks reasoning is simply that they don't want to lose the money either.  If the funds were in a deposit account with any financial institution insured by the FDIC or NCUA and the funds were taken fraudulently, then the FI IS responsible.

If the victim authorized the transaction and got scammed, that's another ball of wax.

I was reading ppls responses and most of the scams were scams......but there was one poster who never even heard of Zelle, never signed up yet his bank acct. was drained.  I read where your phone can be hacked, cha-ching....a lost/stolen phone hacked, cha-ching.  Maybe banks shouldn't offer a risky platform, even though buyer beware, in today's age. It's too hard to keep up with the latest cybercrimes and how to avoid them...hence the Zelle heads up .....I sure trusted it being secured being that my banks offered to hook me up through their websites.  😏

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachyappreciate your bringing this thread up ... was totally unaware and did not realize there were not the usual protections as other posters have expressed. Certainly "buyer beware" and it get's really scary when they can use this platform without a person being signed up!

There is a telephone organization that operates much like a credit bureau that can be instructed to regulate activities related to your telephones and I will mention them here as they can be "frozen" etc much like a credit bureau and that is the National Consumer Telecom & Utilities Exchange, Inc. (NCTUE). Whether this can help in this matter ... do not know? Suspect that few people know they even exist and can provide some control over their telephones?

Admit I froze my accounts along with my medical accounts. Need to stop here as this is off subject but many thanks! Smiley Surprised

Message 15 of 33
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Oh Wow!  Thanks @Anonymous  and nope, I had no idea NCTUE existed.  Now I'm off to research.  Heart

Message 16 of 33
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@tcbofade wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

Sorry about that, wasn't paywall earlier, now it is for me too. Basically what wells Fargo said is they're liable for involuntary fraud. Zelle fraud is considered voluntary because the info was given to someone, such as a text message. Rest of the article talks about people finding out the banks own zelle and it's a racket.

Message 17 of 33
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

I get smishing all the time but has anyone else been getting phone calls in the middle of the night where the caller plays dumb? I said hello, he said hello, I said hello, he mumbled something and I woke up enough to realize I just needed to hang up without saying another word. Then I got text messages ...one was that I called him first ...I knew not to respond to that either because obviously he woke me up. I figured someone was trying to put a name to a phone number.  Then another text came in telling me to quit texting him. I blocked the number but while I was blocking I noticed google assistant was trying to transcribe another call from him. He either hung up or my just blocking that number prevented him from leaving a final message. 

I can't help but wonder if her texting 'NO' that that was all they needed....her name...and with the phone number gave them all the info needed to get those funds.

Yes. This happened to me less than a week ago.

Last update: 4/8/2024
Chopping Block:

Goal Cards
Message 18 of 33
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@TheRedHat you didn't respond did you?

Message 19 of 33
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

Saw two missed phone calls from the same number back-to-back. Attempted to call back and they answered and said the whole "I don't know, you called me" spiel. Then I just hung up and never called back.

Last update: 4/8/2024
Chopping Block:

Goal Cards
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.