Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

benefits of Navy Fed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

benefits of Navy Fed?

What are some of the benefits of navy fed versus other banks or credit unions? Is the primary attraction the lower interest rates on car loans and mortgages? I know lots of people praise navy fed and usaa for giving them high credit lines, but i'd like to learn more about the benefits that arent related to the credit card side. thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: benefits of Navy Fed?

I am a huge fan of NFCU. I love the higher than average rates I get on CD's and IRA CD's.

I also love the fact that I can do everything over the telephone.  I've only had to drop a form off once that they couldn't get via fax. 

I honestly have no complaints at all with NFCU, their rates, and processes. Their customer service is among the best.

Hope this helps!

Guyatthebeach

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Fed is one of the few banks or CUs for which the Share Secured Loan Technique is a good fit.

Message 3 of 8
LakeLife
Established Contributor

I can see going with them for checking and savings when I retire, but for now I have started chasing SUBs for checking.  I figure it's free money, so I might as well grab it while it's there.  

Message 4 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What are some of the benefits of navy fed versus other banks or credit unions? Is the primary attraction the lower interest rates on car loans and mortgages? I know lots of people praise navy fed and usaa for giving them high credit lines, but i'd like to learn more about the benefits that arent related to the credit card side. thanks!

Excellent customer service.

Excellent website with lots of functionality and speed.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LakeLife wrote:

I can see going with them for checking and savings when I retire, but for now I have started chasing SUBs for checking.  I figure it's free money, so I might as well grab it while it's there.  

Chasing SUBs for deposit accounts (savings and checking) is something I do as well.  It's not the right fit for everyone but it is IMO far better than worrying about the exact interest rate one is getting.  For example, if you have $5000 in savings, the difference between a 2% rate and a 3% rate is $50 annually.  But if you use that $5k to open a few bank accounts each year, you can make easily $1000 in SUBs -- more if you work at it a bit.

Message 6 of 8
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@LakeLife wrote:

Makes sense, just watch out for having to claim to taxes on those SUBs. Learned that lesson this year haha.

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 7 of 8
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

I use them for all of my loans, their rates beat everyone's out.

However, for every day banking I use others and for stashing my main emergency fund/liquid nest egg I use a more high yield savings. 

However, their customer service is top notch and the fact that it's 24/7 is a great advantage over their competitors. As an all around CU I think it makes a lot of sense simply becuase they have all around funcitonality like bill pay, app access, credit cards that aren't garbage, VA loans, and no extra charges on xferring money OUT to external accounts. 

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.