Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

denied for Chase checking account ?!!?

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

denied for Chase checking account ?!!?

Well, that was interesting.

Just applied for a Chase checking account online.  After supplying my personal details, the site displayed a notice that Chase was choosing not to open an account for me, based on information in my Experian report.  Now, admittedly, I have two new INQ's this month (10 / 11 days ago) and one new CC reporting (and a second CC pending).  Still, I have CSP (issued last December) and CFU (issued this past May) cards, both in good standing (i.e - paid in full before the due date, if not before the closing date).

I'm aware of the 5/24 rule -- and I'm in fact 4/6 | 8/12 -- but I thought that the rule applied to credit cards.  I've never heard of being denied a bank account before. 

So I'm wondering ... any chance that this occurred because I keep my bureau profiles frozen?

Oh, and BTW -- can  there be a hard pull if my EX profile is frozen (keeping in mind that because I do have existing accounts with Chase, it can legitimately (presumably soft) query my CRA data at its discretion).

I had no issue opening a TD account just over 4 years ago, an Amex savings account within the past year, and a CapOne 360 checking account within the past month, so I wouldn't expect that there's any issue flagged in the CHEX system.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: denied for Chase checking account ?!!?

Hopefully you will receive a letter stating why....l agree, it’s a bit odd. 

Message 2 of 14
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Here's a clue -- I just logged in to Experian -- it showed no new INQ (the last was from 10 days ago) -- so I'm cautiously optimistic that this result arose because my EX profile is frozen.

Stay tuned ... .

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its rather unusual but its the second time in the past few days that I've read of someone being denied due to their Experian report.  See this thread: Denied Chase Checking Account . I can't imagine why Chase would need access to Experian to open a checking account.  I have several Chase Checking and Savings accounts and they've never pulled any credit reports.  I applied for them in-branch and they just looked up Chex Systems and Early Warning Systems.

Message 4 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hope you get it sorted out ExPatSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 14
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

I have read before if u accept over draft protection they pull a report = EX.
Message 6 of 14
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@bigpoppa09 wrote:
I have read before if u accept over draft protection they pull a report = EX.

Thanks.  Don't recall asking for it ... don't know whether things even got that far.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 7 of 14
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

I'm guessing it might've been the frozen profile.  In any event, went to a branch in person this afternoon.  No issues opening the account.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 8 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@expatCanuck wrote:

I'm guessing it might've been the frozen profile.  In any event, went to a branch in person this afternoon.  No issues opening the account.

Glad to hear everything worked out!  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just applied for a Chase checking account online and was denied, and this, of course was my first stop.

I was ready to read the riot act to whoever answered the phone when I called over there, but then I realized that yes, I had frozen my Experian report just the other day.  So that has to be it.  Some additional research has shown me that while they do not necesssarily require a hard or soft pull they are using information in our reports to verify our identities.  Not sure why they wouldn't be able to use Lexis Nexis or something, but so be it.  I'll wait for the letter to come in the mail.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.