Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discover checking

tag
corradovr6
Contributor

discover checking

I was wondering if anyone knew if the ways to trigger the discover checking 1% cash back. is it strictly just using the debit card. would paying my discover it or other cards through the app through checking portion trigger it. or paying through automated over the phone with the debit card. thanks

discover-$27,400 freedom vs-$7,000 credit union-$8,200 Blispay-$I make more money than them Tran-785 Exp-784 Equ-797
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Re: discover checking

I get cashback when I make purchases with my Discover debit card. I used credit only for an entire month and paid from my Discover account -- no cash back was given, even when paying on my It card. I guess they know the difference between making purchases and paying credit card bills. Otherwise people would get double the cashback. I believe purchases using checks qualify as well, but I haven't written a single check so I couldn't tell you.
BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So far for me it's only given me cash back for swiping the card.
Paying credit card bills and ACH for rent & utilities gets me nothing.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The old cashback structure used to give 10 cents per swipe, check, or bill pay (https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Change-to-Discover-checking-account-10-cents-per-c...).

Then they changed it to the 1% model. Here's the official wording on that:

ATM transactions, the purchase of money orders or other cash equivalents, cash over portions of point-of-sale transactions, Peer-to-Peer (P2P) payments, and loan payments or account funding made with your debit card are not eligible for cash back rewards. In addition, purchases made using third-party payment accounts (services such as Venmo® and PayPal, who also provide P2P payments) may not be eligible for cash back rewards.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.