Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trading options question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

trading options question

i've heard it's possible to bet both ways.

can you give me some examples of how that would work?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: trading options question

@Anonymous wrote:

i've heard it's possible to bet both ways.

can you give me some examples of how that would work?

If you're asking quite literally about options trading, there's puts and calls. You can buy both, and you would be betting in both directions then. If options trading is something you're new to, be wary about jumping in with both feet. The word 'bet' is rather apropos here; with options, you're not investing, you're gambling.

Message 2 of 4
hsfun2019
Regular Contributor

Options are a quick way to make money...or lose money.    

They are conceptually simple.... but in reality very complex.

Say you think a stock price is going to go up... you could buy a call.   If you think price is going to go down you can buy a put.  

In both instances you are considered "Long".

You can also sell calls or sell puts.  This is considered "short".  

There are all sorts of pieces that go into the pricing of options etc.   You'll also hear about the "greeks" which are all important in terms of potential, how time effects the price, etc.   

Like i said simple on the surface but a ton of details.  

Message 3 of 4
sugarcreek67
Frequent Contributor

There is a trading platform called "Think or Swim"    TD ameritrade I believe owns the platform now. you can download the platform and create an account.   there is a "paper" trade option. it gives you the chance to practice trade without losing money. once logged in top left side there is where you find real trading or paper trading button. I strongly suggest if have never traded options that you spend some time getting familiar with them and practice with the paper trading.  trading stocks and the futures market takes practice and disipline. people get into trouble when they trade on emotion because when you do that, more often than not you will get your head torn off and lose your ***  I did some amatuer trading 2008 made some nice coin off short squeeze's and sometimes shorting stocks.  I missed the long entry in 2009 and later I just quit trading because I did not have the time to dedicate to spending hours on end watching Mr Market.   I wish you good luck

>>current scores 12/11/21
EQ Fico9 759 | TU Fico9 763 | EX Fico9 768
EX fico 8 753 | EQ Fico8 745 | TU Fico 8 760 | Navy score 294
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.