Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**** updated **** Should I join Penfed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

**** updated **** Should I join Penfed?

I'm currently a member of First Service Credit Union in Houston. Have been for over 15 years. I would like you all's opinion on joining Penfed.  TIA!

T-Ducks

**** Update **** - After researching Penfed on this site & the web, I took the jump & joined. I just went with a Savings account. I had to give a donation to the Families of Soldiers to which I had no problem doing. Had some issues signing up online. Had to call csr for help. The lady I talked to was very helpful. While on the phone inqured about thier cc. She gave me a run down & went ahead & app'd for the Promise card. About 3 minutes later she told me I had a 10k sl. HOLY crap!!!  My largest limit ever!!  My dp's are ex-676, eq-668, tu-685. Have some baddies that are 5.5 yrs old. I plan of moving my savings over to Penfed. I will also look to use them to buy a new truck in 2 years. Off to the garden.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I join Penfed?

If you think that joining PenFed will benefit you then, by all means, I would apply! Many individuals here have an association with PenFed. I am in the process of joining myself.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 14
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm currently a member of First Service Credit Union in Houston. Have been for over 15 years. I would like you all's opinion on joining Penfed.  TIA!

T-Ducks

Well, it depends on your reason/interest in becoming a member. They have very few branches and don't belong to the co-op credit union shared branches. They don't offer very attractive rates on savings, and they tend to be conservative on credit card approvals & credit limits. On the other hand they do offer attractive rates for secured loans - car loans and home equity.

Message 3 of 14
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Everyone's experience is different but I've been treated VERY well by PenFed.

Also NFCU/Navy Fed is a very good & generous CU.

I belong to both and they have been extremely generous in CC limits, car loan etc..

Many MANY members here LOVE NFCU and nearly as many LOVE PF.

As posted, if it fits your needs, by all means JOIN. 

CHEERS

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 to @Pikaboo-icu
Message 5 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

T-Ducks

I like PenFed. Good website, good customer service, decent products, no hassles.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 14
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

I've been very happy with PenFed...started out with them in 10/16 with a $1000 credit card. I've had a few loans with them & now have a cc with a $50k limit. They've been very good to me....soft pull offers every quarter, great loan rates, & great credit. Best CU I've been with to date (they are the 4th one I've had in my life).

Def worth it if you need a solid cu.

Message 7 of 14
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Joining PenFed is a great way to have a back-up bank/credit union.

They have a cooling off period with regards to how much money you can move but they are one of my favorite credit unions.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just joined.

It depends on your current and short term/long term outlook and goals.

It would be another option you can use for comparision shopping for loans/invests/checking etc.

Not sure on 100% of the details but just received an email I think for their "truecar" auto buying service

to get new car apr of 0.99%

Which is pretty hard to beat if you have good credit and qualify for the lowest rates.

I dont think I will be in the market for a new car for a while, but glad to know I have options

along with the auto dealer offers too.

If it fits, it ships.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined Penfed a month ago bc I have some things coming up in the next year or 2 that I might want to use them for. I planted my seed with them now. I figured I can build a good financial relationship with them in the meantime. So far, so good!

As far as as NFCU goes, I couldn't join because I dont have any military related family members. But, if you happen to be in the same boat as me, Penfed has an option that allows people to sign up if they make a donation to a charity that they support. That was helpful for me.

If you researched everything Penfed has to offer and you think it will work for you, you should go ahead and do it. Much luck!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.