cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what might be some lesser known tips to push a credit score to 800 and above?

tag
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy
New Contributor

what might be some lesser known tips to push a credit score to 800 and above?

my score's been hovering around 790, but there has to be something i'm missing that's holding me back from 800. I know 800 doesn't mean i'll get better terms and whatnot, but this is purely for personal satisfaction and seeing how my hard work has paid off. Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: what might be some lesser known tips to push a credit score to 800 and above?

@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy wrote:

my score's been hovering around 790, but there has to be something i'm missing that's holding me back from 800. I know 800 doesn't mean i'll get better terms and whatnot, but this is purely for personal satisfaction and seeing how my hard work has paid off. Thanks.

We would need to know what your profile is like in order to make a suggestion as to how you might pick up 10 points.

I have no idea which of the things I know are "lesser known". It seems like people in general know almost nothing about what goes into FICO scores. In this forum there is more awareness, depending on how much attention one pays and how discriminating one is in evaluating the posts.

Total revolving limits 650200 (530700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 715

Message 2 of 8
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Re: what might be some lesser known tips to push a credit score to 800 and above?

Here's some good info,

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Credit-Scoring-Primer-pub-5-17-20/m-p/60...

If you want specific advice, folks like SouthJamaica can help, but they need as of your details. 

Something that's helped me, is looking at the "insight" list on myfico, or "reason codes" on other score sites.  If you get a reason like "not enough accounts..." It's usually telling you more accounts would raise your score.

Message 3 of 8
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

If you're not managing your utilization , there are probably some points you can get there. Look up "azeo" to learn about it.

Message 4 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FicoMike0 wrote:

Here's some good info,

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Credit-Scoring-Primer-pub-5-17-20/m-p/60...

If you want specific advice, folks like SouthJamaica can help, but they need as of your details. 

Something that's helped me, is looking at the "insight" list on myfico, or "reason codes" on other score sites.  If you get a reason like "not enough accounts..." It's usually telling you more accounts would raise your score.

I"m not a fan of the "primer". I think it makes a lot of unproven assertions.

Message 5 of 8
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica  I'm sure you know better than I do, but it seems better than nothing. What about reason codes? I think they've helped me. Not enough accounts... I got more accounts, scores went up. Too many accounts reporting a balance,... paying half off before they post seems to help.

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FicoMike0 wrote:

@SouthJamaica  I'm sure you know better than I do, but it seems better than nothing. What about reason codes? I think they've helped me. Not enough accounts... I got more accounts, scores went up. Too many accounts reporting a balance,... paying half off before they post seems to help.

If it helps, good. I just see so many posts in this forum that start out "I read somewhere that.... " and finish with baloney. A supposed "primer" like that, IMHO, contributes to misinformation.

Negative reason codes, coming directly from FICO algorithms, are sometimes useful tea leaves if you can figure out their significance. It's not always easy.

Message 7 of 8
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

The reason codes are sometimes cryptic. Also, many are something you can do nothing about.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.