cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16 Closed Collections---What should I do??

tag
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

16 Closed Collections---What should I do??

I am new to this forum...and so far, I have gotten quick and informative responses. My goal is to qualify for USDA loan...need a 640 mid-score soon. 

16 collection accounts (None on all 3 CR), EQ reports 11 closed accounts, TU reports 0, and EX reports 14 as open accounts.

Oh, and all but 4 of them show 0 or NaN balances.

I started drafting GW letters today, thinking that I should at least try to get them removed from EQ since they are paid and closed.  What should I do about Experian? They are all listed as open accounts. I don't want to dispute them as I was told that mortgage lenders don't like to see dispute anywhere on a credit report.

Are the goodwill letters all I can do at this point?  Should I bother? Will removal of these accounts give my score a boost? 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: 16 Closed Collections---What should I do??

If they are paid but still show an open, any lender can see they are paid or nothing is owed.  It is inaccurate reporting but as you said, a dispute could make matters worse.  The open status also has no impact on your score.

I agree that you should start sending out GW letters.

Removal of collections should have a positive impact on your score.  The newer they are the worse impact.  If there are a lot, you may not see a big jump until they are all, or almost all gone.

Message 2 of 5
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Thanks guiness56!  I am drafting and sending letters to the creditors now. Some of the accounts are SUPER old. I ordered the 3-1 Equifax with Score Power.  Last time I got it, I thought there was a line on each account that said when it would be removed.....that isn't there anymore. hmmmmm.

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The removal dates are only on TU and EX and only come on the direct from the CRA reports.

How old are you talking about?

Message 4 of 5
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Thanks. So there are three accounts that fall off 10/13 and 11/13.   I just looked through all 16 and the oldest date opened is 2007, most of them are 2011.

2011---It really was a bad year for me.  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.