Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

180 day late hurting my experian score. Removed from ex/tu

tag
accjohn1990
Contributor

180 day late hurting my experian score. Removed from ex/tu

I charged off my discover card back in 2012.  I didnt use the card responsibly because i had shizophrenia and was paranoid so i travelled to flee :/

I disputed with ex/eq/tu and it was removed from eq/tu but remains on my ex report and is still bringing down my score.  my scores are 685/725/736.  I attempted to dispute it again on experian.com but was notified that i could not since it has already been disputed.  How should i proceed?  Do i stand a chance of getting it removed?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: 180 day late hurting my experian score. Removed from ex/tu

You shouldn't be disputing valid and accurate accounts.  Your best bet will be to request a goodwill removal directly from Discover.  Don't use a form letter.  Write a personal letter explaining what happened and why you're requesting it be removed early. 

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 7
accjohn1990
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.  I have a card with discover again so maybe they will remove it.  I just noticed that the date they are using for the last late day is about a year after the account was closed.  They are using the date i settled the account for less than the full amount.  Is that the correct date for them to use?

Message 3 of 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

With collections and charge off's, you want to look at the date of first delinquency.  This is the date that you were first late that led up to the CO.  This is also the date they use to determine when the account will be removed.

They will report you late every month until the account is settled/paid so that is accurate but is not the date being used for determining when it will be excluded.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 7
accjohn1990
Contributor

I have a good idea of what to write about what happened, but why should i say i am requesting early removal?  All i can think to say besides that i want my score to go up is that it will help me get a credit limit increase with my current discover card and allow me to become a better customer

Message 5 of 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

You can explain how you've changed your ways of spending, budgeting and are now being treated (guessing on my part) and how you would like an opportunity to improve your credit by removing the account.  Just explain whatever changes you've made in life that have put you in a better financial position etc.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The key issue is what was previously the basis for the prior dispute filed with each CRA, and whether the resulting deletion was a voluntary reporting by the creditor, or whether it was based on a specific finding by the CRA that the accuracy could not be verified.

More specifically, upon receiving a dispute, the creditor can choose to verify or correct with only one CRA, and simply delete their reporting with the others.

That is not an admission by the creditor of an unverifiable inaccuracy, or a finding by the CRA as such.

Thus, removal of reporting with one or more CRAs as after a dispute is not per se basis for requiring removal with all CRAs.

In the dispute with EX, they apparently verified or corrrection whatever inaccuracy was asserted as basis for the dispute.

Any second or subsequent dispute on substantially the same basis as a prior dispute can be dismissed without any reinvestigation as being 'frivolous or irrrelevant" unless the renewed dispute includes a new basis for new information.

What was the inaccuracy that was the basis for the prior EX dispute, and what was the outcome (verified or corrected) provided in the Notice of Results of Reinsvestigation of that dispute?

If the late was accurate, then you can proceed by sending a good-will request for deletion to the creditor.

Sending renewed disputes without basis is not apt to promote creditor good-will.......

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.