cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st ever late payment, Discover

tag
subauto

1st ever late payment, Discover

I was I guess 2 months late actually, I missed the 3/20 payment entirely, and paid the 4/20 payment on 4/27, after the late hit my credit report. I woke up that morning and it had dropped ~100 points.

Discover live chat customer support was no help ad suggested I "write to them". I assume they meant a GW letter but I didn't know what that was at the time. I have since sent one, but no way to tell if it helped.

At the time I had also filed disputes with the three credit bureaus, because I didn't understand why this had happened. Could Discover have helped me out and then the disputes undid their goodwill?

TransUnion:

4/28 -96 pts account is 30 days late

5/5 +25 pts account has become current

5/12 +63 pts remark code added to account: Account info disputed by consumer, meets FCRA requirements

5/19 -63 pts previous remark removed and new one added: Dispute resolved, reported by grantor

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: 1st ever late payment, Discover

A GW campaign is really your only option here.  I don't know whether having disputed the legitimate late would affect your GW chances, since I don't know what Disco's internal process for GW requests are.  Regardless, I'd advise to keep your expectations of the result realistic.  Issuers recieve such huge volumes of GW request letters now that the likelihood of an actual GW deletion in any one case has become pretty low.

Message 2 of 14
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

For most people who've had success with GW deletions, it took them several attempts before they were granted. It certainly won't cost you much to continue a GW campaign.   

Message 3 of 14
FlaDude
Valued Contributor

@subauto wrote:

I was I guess 2 months late actually, I missed the 3/20 payment entirely, and paid the 4/20 payment on 4/27, after the late hit my credit report. I woke up that morning and it had dropped ~100 points.

A little late to help your current situation, but that's why I have all my accounts set up for auto pay of the minimum payment amount. A late will stay on your report for 7 years, the effect will lessen some with time during those 7 years, but you won't get all the points back until it drops off fully.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 4 of 14
subauto

Yeah it's got auto pay set up now. It just sucks because there was no big red flag "YOU DIDN'T PAY" or anything like that. They just carried on as normal and said this is when your next payment is due and how much. I guess that's what they consider forgiveness for missing one payment. They just don't tell you that you missed it. I somehow missed checking that account around that time.

Message 5 of 14
subauto

I guess I need to spam, er I mean saturate, them with letters.

Message 6 of 14
subauto

I can't find many hits on Discover in a forum search regardless, but does it seem worthwhile to call, or just snail mail the GW letters?

Message 7 of 14
subauto

To give an update, I haven't finished rewriting my GW letter, but the USPS daily email looks like I'm getting a repsonse from the lone GW letter I fired off almost a month ago...will let everyone know how that goes.

Message 8 of 14
subauto

The Discover letter was as expected, they won't remove it because the law says they have to report accurately. Well, I modified the letter to be a response to their letter and sent it right back to them with the language about the FCRA only requiring them to report accurately, but not requiring them to report at all. And about 10 more to other addresses.

Message 9 of 14
subauto

I'd like to come back and give an update, because nobody ever does. Big bump this past weekend from all 3 bureaus. Remarks changed on the Discover account. If I hadn't sent a bunch of letters, I would think from the remarks that I had filed a dispute with the bureaus. So I'm going to wai and see if this was due to Discover or to the bureaus re-disputing my old dispute that was "completed".

TLDR: scores went up about 60pts, back to the same level as March. March and April payments show as on-time, May shows late, June shows on-time.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.