cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1yr after Bankruptcy dischage- should I apply for a credit card?

tag
orlandodean

1yr after Bankruptcy dischage- should I apply for a credit card?

My equifax score is 670 as of today.

I have no reason to get a credit card other than to build back up my credit.

The only reason I'm considering getting a card is to make my credit better for when I apply for an auto loan in 6-12mos.

When I did the fico score simulator with a new credit card of $1500 it showed my score could be up or down in the future.

So, in the real world would getting a credit card and using <10% of it monthly while kepping it paid in full every month boost my credit in 6-12mos?

Thanks,

Dean

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 1yr after Bankruptcy dischage- should I apply for a credit card?

Revolving accts. compromise 35% of your FICO score.  So yes, demonstrating good use of Revolving credit is essential for an increased score.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 8
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Dean,

I would definitely get a credit card. I would make sure the credit line is no more than 10% of your total income, since your main goal is to get a car loan in a year. With a score of 670, you shouldn't have a problem getting from a bank or credit union. I got one from my credit union unsecured at 10.99% six months after my bankruptcy was discharged. In my case I did have a secured card with them. I also got approved for a Barclay's Apple Finance card as well.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Message 3 of 8
orlandodean

Hmm.  Okay.  I'll apply for a card at my credit union tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

Dean

Message 4 of 8
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

If you don't mind, which credit union do you use and where do you live? I live in SC.

Message 5 of 8
orlandodean

North Carolina State Employee's Credit Union.

Message 6 of 8
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I hear State Credit Union is real good. You should not have a problem. If you do have a problem, I know PNC offers a secured card, because I bank with them as well as with SC State Credit Union.

Message 7 of 8
apandabear
Regular Contributor

SECU is a great credit union. They have several products for those with not-so-stellar credit and finances. 

I don't know specifically what they have for rebuilding, but they're great people and should give you a shot.

I LOVE credit unions.. You aren't a customer, you aren't just a way to make money. You're a member. It's such a different world.

And it's nice seeing locals around here too! Good luck. Let us know how it pans out.. And what the CUs products look like!

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.