cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Collection Agencies one account?

tag
Regular Contributor

2 Collection Agencies one account?

Last month a credit agency reported a collection on all three reports for Direct TV bill.  Now today another agency sent me a demand letter for the same exact account.  This is a new collection that I was hoping to work out with Direct TV but when I called they said they sent it to collections, so on Friday, I DV'd the first CA now today I got this new CA letter?   Any advice? 
MyFico's:
June 09: TU 591, EQ 526, EX 576
June 10: TU 647 EQ 643, EX 661
March 12: TU 700 EQ 700
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: 2 Collection Agencies one account?

Have you looked at your CR in the past week or so?  It is possible that the CA on your CR sold the account to the newer one. 

Send the second one a DV also. 

Only one of these CA can collect the debt.
Message 2 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

DV the second CA Monday.

I would wait a couple weeks and make sure CA#1 is reporting $0, then I would GW them.
Message 3 of 12
Regular Contributor

Yes, I've been checking it daily on True Credit because I've been working so hard on fixing it.  The first agency just got it in June and now another in July?  It's not an old bill, that's what I can't figure out.  Both agencies are new to this debt. 
MyFico's:
Message 4 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds quick, but it is possible. Try calling the OC to ask who is collecting on the debt. Another thing to try is to find a link between these two CAs. Maybe they are related in a way. Look also in your org. CRs for soft pulls on CA#1 to see when they first got the account.
Message 5 of 12
Regular Contributor

Is it just ironic that my DV went CMRRR to the first CA last week and then this new agency takes over a few days later?  Maybe the first CA couldn't validate so they sold it?  Just trying to brainstorm on this.
MyFico's:
Message 6 of 12
SanFranMatt
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:
Sounds quick, but it is possible. Try calling the OC to ask who is collecting on the debt. Another thing to try is to find a link between these two CAs. Maybe they are related in a way. Look also in your org. CRs for soft pulls on CA#1 to see when they first got the account.

If one CA sold to another, would the OC even know about it or would they only know of the original CA that they sold it to? Would a CA be required to keep the OC up to date?
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You say that this is an old bill....how old?  when did you last make a payment?

IF the OC (direct TV) isn't reporting it is not easy to know if the CA was assigned the account or bought it.

Call direct tv  and ask if they own it....IF they do then they are in control!!!

If it was sold then ignore the OC (except ask them when you made your last payment)

DV both CAs reporting.....at no time can 2 CAs report the same debt!!

If only 1 CA answers the DV....then & only then do you file a dispute against the CA that doesn't answer * not mine*
Message 8 of 12
Regular Contributor

Thanks,
I called Direct TV again today.  They will allow me to pay them directly but they say they have no control over what is reported by the CA's.  They say that all they can do is give me a confirmation number of my account being paid that I can send to both agencies.  That doesn't sound like a PFD so I didn't agree to doing it.  I'm afraid if I pay Direct TV (OC)  the agency/agencies will just update  my report as paid. What I really need  is for it to be deleted completely as it's my newest collection.  DOFD 12/07 Reported to all three bureau's 06/08
Do you think I should call back and ask for a manager? 
MyFico's:
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would get the address for the main office of Direct tv and mail a PFD.

They can withdraw the assignment from the CA!!!!!!

In the letter tell them that you will PIF $xxxx   if they agree to withdraw the assignment from any CA, and all reporting of this account will be deleted from all reporting agencies!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.