Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 USAA credit cards closed reporting late

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 USAA credit cards closed reporting late

@RobertEG I might owe you beer. I was unaware that lates could not be reported after the fact.

I'm in the same situation as the OP; two "closed by grantor" USAA accounts from about six years ago that I was still making payments on.  A couple were late and are showing on my CR.

Can anyone provide a link to a dispute letter with correct verbiage for this situation? 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: USAA credit card closed in 2001: why still on my report?

Welcome to the forums, @Anonymous!  As the thread you replied to was from 2009, I have split it into a new thread for you to get the answers that you are looking for.  I edited your title; please feel free to edit it again.  Closed accounts do generally continue to stay on your credit reports for up to 10 years; I believe 7 years for those with negative credit history, but I'll defer to those with better understanding of your situation.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks K-in-Boston, glad to be here.

To be clear, the USAA accounts were closed less than 7 years ago, but I was still paying on the balance after closure; they are paid off now. 

I'm having trouble finding FCRA language that states late payments on closed accounts can't be reported on though.

Even though 7 years "closed by grantor" is coming up soon, I'm concerned a 1 year old late will haunt me. 

Message 3 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Any actual late payments can be reported by lenders, whether an account is opened or closed if you still owe them money. To make sure we understand, the accounts were closed about 6 years ago but the late payment was made about a year ago? If that is the case, the late payments are correctly reporting. Short of writing goodwill letters to ask them to remove the accounts or waiting until they eventually fall off of your reports, I don’t believe you have any recourse.
Message 4 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Late is late and will stick for the full 7yrs unless you can get a GW letter success story.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.