Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 repos on credit..help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 repos on credit..help

Divorce.. got to love em.

Anyway my ex spouse let 2 auto loans go back and didn’t tell me until after the fact. One is 6k one is 2k after the sell...

What’s my best option to recover?
Should I pay them off?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2 repos on credit..help

Was the account in your name or both of your names?  What was decided in the divorce settlement about the vehicles?  If the divorce settlement gave the vehicles to your ex, was your name supposed to be removed from the account and ex was supposed to take over payments?  If the ex was supposed to pay on the cars, you might be able to dispute that court documentation says you are no longer legally responsible for the debts.  It all depends on what the court documents for your divorce say.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They state he will be responsible for them. I was the co-signer for both on the loans.
Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If your name is on a loan as a borrower or co-signer you’re 100% responsible for the debt from the lender’s perspective. Even if you’ve divorced and your former spouse agreed to handle the debt, your credit is on the line if your ex defaults, and you’ll also be responsible for late fees and collection costs. Lenders made an agreement with both of you jointly, and unfortunately, your divorce agreement typically doesn’t affect that contract.

https://www.thebalance.com/debt-and-divorce-315507

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh shoot, you were a co-signer?  Then yeah, from a creditor's standpoint, you are responsible for the loans.  If you do decide to pay the debts, you may be able to take your ex to court for re-imbursement.  If in the divorce settlement, he was supposed to take over the payments then he has not upheld his end of the bargain by letting the vehicles get repossessed.  I would check with a lawyer and move pretty quickly as there are likely SOL about how long you have to sue him.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.