Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2023 Rebuild Year - Advice?

tag
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

2023 Rebuild Year - Advice?

Hey guys and gals, 

I've posted on here before but its been a couple years and all my derogs have aged and are getting pretty close to being removed so just looking for some advice and guidance.

I have 3 charge offs and one collection on all three of my reports. 

Discover

Discover

Cap 1

Portfolio Recovery Assc.

EQ - DOFD

Disc (both) - 8/16

Cap 1 - 10/16

PRA - 9/16

EX & TU - Delete Dates

Disc (both) - 7/23 for both: removed from TU last night online EE dispute

Cap 1 - EX: 7/23 TU: 9/23; will have TU remove in March

PRA - EX: 6/23 TU: 8/23; will have TU removed in February

My main questions are:

1: What would be the possible earliest dates I could get these removed from EX with Early Exclusion? From what I understand EQ is difficult to get EE and to just let them fall off organically.

2. What credit cards should I shoot for once all this stuff is removed? I have an older version of Chase Freedom from 2015 that has never ahd a late or missed payment on it, so I'm looking at diff versions of Freedom and Amazon Prime. I also had an AMEX opened in 2015 that my first collection (no longer on credit report) reduced my CL when i had it open and I, stupidly, closed the account. Hoping to maybe get back in with AMEX, maybe?

My credit is 629 or thereabouts on my chase freedom app, I cant use creditkarma or sesame because my credit is frozen from my identity being stolen in 2020, nothing was opened in my name, they just got my info from Ky unemployment data leak. Was unemployed due to covid. 

Current FICO 8: TU: 814 EX: 774 EQ: 806
Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000
American Express BCP: $12,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred $11,500
Blue Business Plus $10,000
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
Capital One Venture X $16,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited $5,000

Tour Manager, FOH Engineer, Concert Promoter, HBIC
8 REPLIES 8
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: 2023 Rebuild Year - Advice?

how much is the Portfolio Recovery chargeoff in $ ?

they will do a Pay for Delete - so if you can afford the amount, i would pay it now and it will be removed from your account in around 60 days

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 9
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

@RSX 

It's for $1,427 which I can afford but it would just be a waste of money when it will be deleted this year anyway.

Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000

Message 3 of 9
OniStringer
Regular Contributor

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

Hey guys and gals, 

I've posted on here before but its been a couple years and all my derogs have aged and are getting pretty close to being removed so just looking for some advice and guidance.

Discover

Discover

Cap 1

Portfolio Recovery Assc.

EQ - DOFD

Disc (both) - 8/16

Cap 1 - 10/16

PRA - 9/16

EX & TU - Delete Dates

My main questions are:

1: What would be the possible earliest dates I could get these removed from EX with Early Exclusion? From what I understand EQ is difficult to get EE and to just let them fall off organically.

2. What credit cards should I shoot for once all this stuff is removed? I have an older version of Chase Freedom from 2015 that has never ahd a late or missed payment on it, so I'm looking at diff versions of Freedom and Amazon Prime. I also had an AMEX opened in 2015 that my first collection (no longer on credit report) reduced my CL when i had it open and I, stupidly, closed the account. Hoping to maybe get back in with AMEX, maybe?

My credit is 629 or thereabouts on my chase freedom app, I cant use creditkarma or sesame because my credit is frozen from my identity being stolen in 2020, nothing was opened in my name, they just got my info from Ky unemployment data leak. Was unemployed due to covid. 

PRA does PFD, can maybe even settle for less than full. 

I do agree though, might as well wait at this point. Can most likely get early exclude from EXPERIAN 1 month before. If you call them they will give you the exact day it's to be removed and you have to call exactly one month prior and they will put it in for you to be removed early. 

Started with LOW 500s - Actively rebuilding as of early 2019
//
Message 4 of 9
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

The general consensus for EE is about 6 months with TU. EX seems to be one month and people have had mixed success with EQ. Worst case senario is you just have to ride it out, and you're so close!

As far as cards to pursue, your best bet would be to just continue to garden for a little while and see what kind of bump you get once all these things fall off as it will likely be a pretty significant jump in your scores. While you could pursue cards from major issuers like Cap 1 perhaps even now, Once you're over 680 much better products are going to become available, and you could pursue something with Chase as you mentioned. Being you had a good relationship with AMEX, I'd definitely revisit them as well as many other cards that will give you a decent SL and the opportunity to grow CLs.

I think it would be a mistake to add sub-prime cards now just for the sake of adding cards. Sometimes you have to slow down, in order to speed up, and you're so close to being there.

Message 5 of 9
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

The general consensus for EE is about 6 months with TU. EX seems to be one month and people have had mixed success with EQ. Worst case senario is you just have to ride it out, and you're so close!

As far as cards to pursue, your best bet would be to just continue to garden for a little while and see what kind of bump you get once all these things fall off as it will likely be a pretty significant jump in your scores. While you could pursue cards from major issuers like Cap 1 perhaps even now, Once you're over 680 much better products are going to become available, and you could pursue something with Chase as you mentioned. Being you had a good relationship with AMEX, I'd definitely revisit them as well as many other cards that will give you a decent SL and the opportunity to grow CLs.

I think it would be a mistake to add sub-prime cards now just for the sake of adding cards. Sometimes you have to slow down, in order to speed up, and you're so close to being there.

I wasn't planning on apping for anything, especailly subprime,  until all the derogs fall off which from what I understand will be around 9/23. I haven't had a hard inquiry since 3/2020 so if I understand correctly that should already have fallen off putting me at 0 hards. 

I'm hoping that Chase will be open to extending more credit to me since my income has increased since I last apped with them and AMEX. Would applying for a charge card through AMEX be easier and maybe open the door a little more for revolving? Just open to many ideas. 

Appreciate the response, likewise for you @OniStringer

Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000

Message 6 of 9
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

@JoeRockhead wrote:

I wasn't planning on apping for anything, especailly subprime,  until all the derogs fall off which from what I understand will be around 9/23. I haven't had a hard inquiry since 3/2020 so if I understand correctly that should already have fallen off putting me at 0 hards. 

I'm hoping that Chase will be open to extending more credit to me since my income has increased since I last apped with them and AMEX. Would applying for a charge card through AMEX be easier and maybe open the door a little more for revolving? Just open to many ideas. 

This is outstanding, and if you continue to build positive history between now and then, like I said, you will see a significant increase in your scores. (YEMV but I got a 72 point jump when all my baddies fell off). Given your good relationship with Chase, I'd say the odds are in your favor there. Many people say that the charge cards from AMEX are easier to get approved for due the fact that they require a PIF every month but IDK for sure. I never had a relationship with them and they approved me for my BCP and gave me a 20k SL so... When you are ready to app with AMEX I would check to see if their new pre approval portal is available to you (supposed to be only for new customers but you never know). Sounds like you're heading down the right path to bigger and better things... keep up the good work!! 

Message 7 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

Hey guys and gals, 

Discover

Discover

Cap 1

Portfolio Recovery Assc.

EQ - DOFD

Disc (both) - 8/16

Cap 1 - 10/16

PRA - 9/16

EX & TU - Delete Dates

My main questions are:

TU will remove items 6 months early. Experian will 3 months early. Equifax will 1-2 months early. You must be in that range to request it. Best to let EQ drop it on their own. They tend to be untidy I'll say. Yes wait till all is gone. Then over 700 opens so many more doors. Wait it out. Good thing come to those who wait.

Message 8 of 9
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

@JoeRockhead wrote:

This is outstanding, and if you continue to build positive history between now and then, like I said, you will see a significant increase in your scores. (YEMV but I got a 72 point jump when all my baddies fell off). Given your good relationship with Chase, I'd say the odds are in your favor there. Many people say that the charge cards from AMEX are easier to get approved for due the fact that they require a PIF every month but IDK for sure. I never had a relationship with them and they approved me for my BCP and gave me a 20k SL so... When you are ready to app with AMEX I would check to see if their new pre approval portal is available to you (supposed to be only for new customers but you never know). Sounds like you're heading down the right path to bigger and better things... keep up the good work!! 

I appreciate it. Yea I'll be in the garden til at least the end of '23 and will be waiting til all the derogs fall off and see where my scores end up at. Hoping to see a good improvement. 

is it true that if you app for multiple chase cards at the same time that they'll use the same HP? Looks like from what I'm understanding if you app for AMEX that it's SP if not approved so I don't see any risk in doing that around the same time as well. 

Thanks to everyone in the thread. 

Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.