cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

22 yr old identity theft victim...Help: Sent out Dispute letters and now...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

22 yr old identity theft victim...Help: Sent out Dispute letters and now...

For starters, I learned a lesson about how serious identity theft is. DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT allow anyone to file taxes for you if they aren't a licensed ta professional. I am currently in the process of rebuilding my credit as it was destroyed by someone who claimed to be a tax professional; only to take my social and run with it. Thirty inquires have been made, two phone accounts that have gone into collections, and on top of that my 2011 and 2012 tax returns were denied because someone had already filed. I had no idea of what was going on until I was able to purchase my condo in the beginning of 2012. With that being said I am currently in the repair process and I've run into a few obstacles. First, I sent letters to the creditors and explained the current situation. I've noticed that two inquiries have been deleted, no word from some, and some letters were returned to me, labeled return to sender. I also have a few that responded saying that they need more information, mainly my social security number. I need help on what to do in regards to the creditors requesting more information. I'm confused because I wonder how my report shows the hard pull, but they have no record or need my social. I am skeptical of sending my social out, and I would like to know what should I do about the letters returned to me. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: 22 yr old identity theft victim...Help: Sent out Dispute letters and now...

First thing you should do is file a police report.  Have your CR with you and all of the fraud on your CR needs to be in the report.

You can send a copy of the police report, along with your highlighted CR to the CRAs and let them know it was fraud. 

I would also send a copy of the police report and the appropriate copies of your CR to the creditors showing it was fraud.

If you are still unable to file taxes, I would do the same with the IRS.

I would not send out your SSN to anyone at this point.  There are other ways to confirm identity.

Message 2 of 6
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For starters, I learned a lesson about how serious identity theft is. DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT allow anyone to file taxes for you if they aren't a licensed ta professional. I am currently in the process of rebuilding my credit as it was destroyed by someone who claimed to be a tax professional; only to take my social and run with it. Thirty inquires have been made, two phone accounts that have gone into collections, and on top of that my 2011 and 2012 tax returns were denied because someone had already filed. I had no idea of what was going on until I was able to purchase my condo in the beginning of 2012. With that being said I am currently in the repair process and I've run into a few obstacles. First, I sent letters to the creditors and explained the current situation. I've noticed that two inquiries have been deleted, no word from some, and some letters were returned to me, labeled return to sender. I also have a few that responded saying that they need more information, mainly my social security number. I need help on what to do in regards to the creditors requesting more information. I'm confused because I wonder how my report shows the hard pull, but they have no record or need my social. I am skeptical of sending my social out, and I would like to know what should I do about the letters returned to me. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here's what I would do, but there's probably more that can be done:

1.  File a police report.  Often times that is what makes creditors take you seriously when you claim it wasn't you.

2.  Freeze your credit with all 3 CB's.  This will prevent any new inquiries or fraudulent accounts and is free if you filed a report.

3.  Send CMRR letters to each reporting creditor on your credit reports referencing the account numbers notifying them of the identity theft and police report numbers.

4.  Save a copy of everything.  Everything.

5.  Once you have proof that you notified the creditors, dispute all of the fraudulent accounts on your CR as "not mine" by mail, including a copy of the police report and correspondence with the creditors.

6.  Be prepared, if necessary to sue any creditor that updates or verifies the accounts.

7.  Be prepared to fight this same battle again and again as the creditors sell the debt to collection agencies.

8.  Be prepared to defend yourself in court if a creditor sues, and plan to countersue.

9.  Consider retaining a lawyer if necessary.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the love and repsonses, but I'm a newbie and the abbreviations are latin to me. Could you please tell me what CMRR is? Thanks

Message 4 of 6
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the love and repsonses, but I'm a newbie and the abbreviations are latin to me. Could you please tell me what CMRR is? Thanks

Certified Mail Return Receipt - basically your proof that you sent it, and they got it.

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations
What Steps do I take, DV, PFD or GW
Credit Scoring 101

This will give you an idea of where to start. Good Luck!

+1 on the filing of police reports.  This would give you documentation as to the accounts not being yours vs. just the statement, "Not Mine".

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.