Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 years post BK with -$3k overdrawn checking acct

tag
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

3 years post BK with -$3k overdrawn checking acct

Hi everyone,

I am in an unusual situation. My checking account has been overdrawn $3,000 at BECU for almost a month now. 
I received my last paycheck from my job that closed and it bounced. The funds were available instantly after mobile deposit, I paid my bills and such and the check came back. 
They sent a letter asking me to make a deposit but I haven't contacted them yet. I am unemployed and can't put together that much money. 

I want to pay it, but if I can't work out a payment arrangement, I believe they'll report me to Chexsystems and possibly report a collection item to the credit bureaus. 
I have another checking account elsewhere, but how bad will a negative credit reporting hurt me, 3 years post BK? My scores are in the mid-600's. I haven't missed a payment on anything but I am maxed out on most credit cards (CapOne, BJ's MC, Blaze MC, Indigo ($0 AF), Target, Sam's Club store credit, Credit One Amex ($39 AF) and a few store cards that I don't use much like Menard's, Ulta, and Valero. 

I know my credit score will tank, but will I be able to recover after I get it paid? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 3 years post BK with -$3k overdrawn checking acct

Not much you can do except work on collecting that paycheck in court if necessary and satisfying BECU. Not sure it will report to your CRs but it will go to Chex. As long as you keep your CCs current you should be ok if that isnt reported.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TattnallTrio wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am in an unusual situation. My checking account has been overdrawn $3,000 at BECU for almost a month now. 
I received my last paycheck from my job that closed and it bounced. The funds were available instantly after mobile deposit, I paid my bills and such and the check came back. 
They sent a letter asking me to make a deposit but I haven't contacted them yet. I am unemployed and can't put together that much money. 

I want to pay it, but if I can't work out a payment arrangement, I believe they'll report me to Chexsystems and possibly report a collection item to the credit bureaus. 
I have another checking account elsewhere, but how bad will a negative credit reporting hurt me, 3 years post BK? My scores are in the mid-600's. I haven't missed a payment on anything but I am maxed out on most credit cards (CapOne, BJ's MC, Blaze MC, Indigo ($0 AF), Target, Sam's Club store credit, Credit One Amex ($39 AF) and a few store cards that I don't use much like Menard's, Ulta, and Valero. 

I know my credit score will tank, but will I be able to recover after I get it paid? 

It definitely can show up on your CRs.

I had an overdrafted bank account that was never paid. It just dropped off my chex a few months ago, but it still has a little less than 2 years on my CRs. I am wanting to work out something to finally pay them, but I am almost certain that the debt is not just being collected by a CA, but owned by one now.

Too bad, I would have liked back in with that credit union! Turns out they have some coveted products I never even thought about.

I also would say, what will hold your scores down most are all those maxxed out credit cards. A CA hurts, certainly, but maxxed out CCs are definitely very bad too. You should really try working those down well under 89% util. Be careful to not get back into a position like prior to your BK. Interest on CCs can eat up payments.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I've been a becu member since forever plus two weeks. If you work with them, they will work with you, especially now.

The worst thing you can do is avoid contacting them. 

If you can afford to pay back little by little, tell them what you can do, then stick with it.

While reporting to Chex probably happened already, it's totally in your power to avoid reporting collection to major CRAs, but you should act sooner rather than later. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.