Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 day's for a dispute resolution?

tag
RCOH
Regular Contributor

30 day's for a dispute resolution?

HI,

I was on another site and read that disputes must be done within 30 day's, is this correct?  I have two items on my EQ report that were disputed years ago that still show 'disputed by consumer'.

"Per the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Section § 611 (a) (5), CRA have 30 days to investigate disputes. If they cannot verify the information within the 30 day time period, they must delete all of the disputed accounts from a report." - TRUE???

Starting Score 12/15 (FICO 8) EQ: 488 :-(
7/16 (FICO 8) EX:611 - TU: 579 - EQ 599 --- Goal 660+
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
RCOH
Regular Contributor

Re: 30 day's for a dispute resolution?

Actually, it's true!

The Fair Credit Reporting Act - Section 611

"611. Procedure in case of disputed accuracy [15 U.S.C. 1681i]

(a) Reinvestigations of disputed information.

(1) Reinvestigation required.

(A) In general. If the completeness or accuracy of any item of information contained in a consumer's file at a consumer reporting agency is disputed by the consumer and the consumer notifies the agency directly of such dispute, the agency shall reinvestigate free of charge and record the current status of the disputed information, or delete the item from the file in accordance with paragraph (5), before the end of the 30-day period beginning on the date on which the agency receives the notice of the dispute from the consumer."

Should I send a letter to EQ? I don't have the original dispute information (date and #) only my report where it still shows disputed by consumer.

Message 2 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 3 of 17
RCOH
Regular Contributor

I'm sure that's all it is, just forgot to update info...

Message 4 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRAs have 30 days from the date of the dispute to complete their reinvestigation, and five business days thereafter to mail a Notice of Results of Reinvestigation, which is the formal document that concludes the dispute.

Did you ever receive a Notice of Results of Reinestigation from the CRA?

If so, the dispute is officially concluded, and the issue is one only of admiinistrative removal of the pending dispute flag.

If not, then they are in violation of section 611(a).

Before filing a complaint, I would first suggest determining whether they sent the Notice of Results of Reinvestigation, which will determine whether the complaint relates to lack of conclusion of the dispute or lack of removal of the pending dispute flag.

Message 5 of 17
RCOH
Regular Contributor

Nope, never received anything from them and I've lived at the same address for 12 years. Actually forgot about it until I pulled my report's.

I tried to use their online dispute system and check the status but I don't have the dispute #s. When I tried (twice) to use the system without the number after answering  a few questions it took me right back to the main screen and asked for #..LOL

Message 6 of 17
usofascott
Valued Member

also, if you DVed the creditor in the past, it will show as disputed by consumer. The creditor is required to leave that on the Tradeline as long as they report

Message 7 of 17
RCOH
Regular Contributor

Never used DV on creditor, only disputed through EQ.

Should I call EQ and ask for the dispute number or would that be a bad idea?

Message 8 of 17
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@usofascott wrote:

also, if you DVed the creditor in the past, it will show as disputed by consumer. The creditor is required to leave that on the Tradeline as long as they report

DV's are not sent to the creditor. Only the CA. 

Message 9 of 17
RCOH
Regular Contributor

That's what I thought I read DaBears.

Do you think I should call EQ? I tried to use the online dispute system again and it isn't working.

Confused on what if anything I should do. The CRTP is nearing an end for the account's. Only like 6 to 8 months left.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.