Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 lates removed, no increase in score

tag
MunnyMakinMitchLA
Established Member

4 lates removed, no increase in score

So Capital One accepted my goodwill letter for removal of 4 late payments. It was updated mid September to all credit bureaus but didn’t see increase in score. Anyone else ever experience this, maybe see in increase a few months down?
Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 500
Goal Score: 740
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: 4 lates removed, no increase in score

@MunnyMakinMitchLA wrote:
So Capital One accepted my goodwill letter for removal of 4 late payments. It was updated mid September to all credit bureaus but didn’t see increase in score. Anyone else ever experience this, maybe see in increase a few months down?

If your late payments were old enough, the scoring impact may have already been negligible. 

If you have other negatives or high utilization remaining you might not see all points return until those negatives are corrected. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It's possible if you have other derogs on your file, or high utilization that those gains are being negated by those factors.

Also, what type of lates were those? 30 day? 60 day? 90 day? etc. If they were only 30 day lates and over 2 years old, the scoring impact had already gone down to pretty much zero, so while getting them removed will help in the long run and certainly help your overall report look better, it wouldn't yield any short-term increases.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:

It's possible if you have other derogs on your file, or high utilization that those gains are being negated by those factors.

Also, what type of lates were those? 30 day? 60 day? 90 day? etc. If they were only 30 day lates and over 2 years old, the scoring impact had already gone down to pretty much zero, so while getting them removed will help in the long run and certainly help your overall report look better, it wouldn't yield any short-term increases.

+1

30d and 60d lates diminish in their affect in about two years time.

If you have multiple other lates or worse delinquencies, jt also may not help.

Sadly, I had something like over 250 lates due to SLs (lots and lots of SLs on my credit reports, and if you are late on 1, you are late on them all!)

On EX, they drop strings of lates at a time and I have *55* lates drop from 60d-120d+ lates on all these accounts. I did not gain one single point. Frankly, I was sort of expecting that from what I have learned from the forum, but it was still quite depressing.

Another different example is my SO had 18 derogs on his TU CR. He had 8 TLs removed all in one swoop. He only gain like 9 pts since he still has 10 other derogs reporting. It may not have even been the removal of the derogs that caused the score increase, but at least a few points were gained.

It was not until the last CA was removed on EX before he saw some movement (still has defaulted SLs reporting while in rehabs and 2 COs, so not the biggest jump, yet). The removal of this CA also gained him some points on TU since his only other CA is under $100 and is considered a "nuisance collection" and is disregarded in scoring on some scorecards. EQ still has a CA only reporting to that bureau and the CA that was removed from EX and TU did not report to EQ, so saw no change in his score there.

So, if you have other lates or derogs, just keep plugging away at it! Each removal may get you one step closer. If they were older 30/60d lates, at least they are no longer on your reports and that still looks better to creditors.

Also, a couple other things.

If it was 60d late, the removal of that would cause reassignment from a delinquent scorecard to a non-delinquent scorecard, if you do not have any other lates. Sometimes this actually may cause a loss in points.

Lastly, from what I read on the bureaus faqs, that when a derog is removed, it can cause instability in you credit report, so it may need to stabilize for a period (months? It did not specify exactly how long) before you start to see score improvement. So even though most times it seems like score changes are immediate from a change, not all are and it may not be all at once. I could be wrong, but that is what I read. I will have to find the reference to share.

Maybe this answers some questions or it makes more questions, but I hope this helped some!

Good luck!

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

+1

Sadly, I had something like over 250 lates due to SLs (lots and lots of SLs on my credit reports, and if you are late on 1, you are late on them all!)

On EX, they drop strings of lates at a time and I have *55* lates drop from 60d-120d+ lates on all these accounts. I did not gain one single point. Frankly, I was sort of expecting that from what I have learned from the forum, but it was still quite depressing.

Another different example is my SO had 18 derogs on his TU CR. He had 8 TLs removed all in one swoop. He only gain like 9 pts since he still has 10 other derogs reporting. It may not have even been the removal of the derogs that caused the score increase, but at least a few points were gained.

It was not until the last CA was removed on EX before he saw some movement (still has defaulted SLs reporting while in rehabs and 2 COs, so not the biggest jump, yet). The removal of this CA also gained him some points on TU since his only other CA is under $100 and is considered a "nuisance collection" and is disregarded in scoring on some scorecards. EQ still has a CA only reporting to that bureau and the CA that was removed from EX and TU did not report to EQ, so saw no change in his score there.

So, if you have other lates or derogs, just keep plugging away at it! Each removal may get you one step closer. If they were older 30/60d lates, at least they are no longer on your reports and that still looks better to creditors.

If it was 60d late, the removal of that would cause reassignment from a delinquent scorecard to a non-delinquent scorecard, if you do not have any other lates. Sometimes this actually may cause a loss in points.

Lastly, from what I read on the bureaus faqs, that when a derog is removed, it can cause instability in you credit report, so it may need to stabilize for a period (months? It did not specify exactly how long) before you start to see score improvement. So even though most times it seems like score changes are immediate from a change, not all are and it may not be all at once. I could be wrong, but that is what I read. I will have to find the reference to share.

Maybe this answers some questions or it makes more questions, but I hope this helped some!

Good luck!

Yes except for the stabilize concepts, I don't agree because it's a point in time algorithm, so there is no time to stabilize; it wouldn't be a point in time algorithm.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

+1

Good luck!

Yes except for the stabilize concepts, I don't agree because it's a point in time algorithm, so there is no time to stabilize; it wouldn't be a point in time algorithm.

I will get you the article straight from the bureau that stated remove a derogncauses instability and may be slow to see a change in scores.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the reference to what I speak of:

deleting-an-account-did-not-raise-the-credit-score 

Message 8 of 17
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

This happened to me recently, except it was a deletion of 2 charged off Cap1 accounts. No noticeable change in score. It was because I still have other baddies on my credit reports (going from 7 baddies down to 5 doesn't change the algorithm very much, if at all), and also because the accounts were starting to get aged anyways (last reported lates were 3 years ago).

Still, regardless of the score change, or lack thereof, it's always good to have a cleaner-looking credit file! Because creditors don't only look at scores. It can help a lot with getting new accounts, better rates, and CLI's, even without the score going up. So congrats!

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous let me read it and I'll tell you what I think but I agree with everything except for the instability reference; yes it's going to take time to recover, that's not because Of instability that's because of scoring factors and scorecard, imo, but my opinion is subject to change, 😉 let me read it!

ps I guess it also depends on how you define instability. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.