Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 points from Qualifying

tag
Trish
Established Member

4 points from Qualifying

The long and the short of the situation is as follows: My Boyfriend has high 780 scores - but his DTI is too high due to his child support. |
My credit score was just verified to be 4 points from qualifying for a FHA loan.

A house just came on the market that is PERFECT! But because of the way it is priced and the area it is in - I know it's not going to be on the market long.
If we loose this one I will understand, but DO NOT want to get caught in this position again.

What is the quickest way for me to add 4 points to my scores? My only debt is my student loans which are current.
I was told the biggest impact is no revolving debt and my payment histories (I filed BK 3 years ago).

I was told to contact Thecreditbuilders.net and that they have a good history of helping clean up old things off your report and such.
(I have tried in past to have things removed in good faith but collection agencies get pissy with me and one even told me removing something (even in good faith)was fraud and refused.)

Has anyone one used them or heard of them?

Any help or suggestions for a quick jump would be great! (PS - I don't have any one I can piggyback on a credit card that has a low enough utilization that would benefit me)

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: 4 points from Qualifying

Do you have any open credit cards ?   If so, how many ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 29
Trish
Established Member

I have 2 cards. One for Maurices and one for the Buckle. Limits are 150 and 200. Both have no balances. I have no debt other than student loans.
Message 3 of 29
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Trish wrote:
I have 2 cards. One for Maurices and one for the Buckle. Limits are 150 and 200. Both have no balances. I have no debt other than student loans.

You might see a small FICO score boost from letting a small balance ( 5% - 9% ) report on one of the cards.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 29
DaBears
Senior Contributor

+1 if you let one card report a small bal you might just get that 4+ pts you need. 

Message 5 of 29
Trish
Established Member

mmm. I had a balance last month in the maurices card. it was for $48 I paid it off and I was notified my score went up because I wasn't using credit. I'll charge something small and see if it helps.
Message 6 of 29
goosedog
Regular Contributor

So let me get this straight. The only credit you have is student loans and 2 charge cards for department stores correct?

Another thing you can do is, call the CA and threaten them with BBB, state attorneys office complaint, FTC complaint, etc. Usually I have found that to be an effective way of getting somethin done. Also see if your state has a financial regulation office that issues licenses for collection agencies and if any of those CA are local, threaten them with that. If I did not threaten to sue half the companies I got deleted off my credit report, i would still be sitting with 20+ collections.

Message 7 of 29
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Goosedog that would be an unethical approach and is not tolerated on myFICO forums.

• Discussion of illegal or unethical activities or providing links to other websites containing such information;
Message 8 of 29
Trish
Established Member

I'm not interested in making threats to get this resolved. But I appreciate your opinion.
Message 9 of 29
goosedog
Regular Contributor

Trish, I understand. We all have our own approach to dealing with CA. What works for one person, may not work for another person. I am glad you realize this is "my opinion" and are free to take my opinion into consideration   MODCUT

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.