Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

401k, debt payoff, oh my.

tag
CrimsonMoon93
Contributor

401k, debt payoff, oh my.

Hope everyone is able to help out, so far you peeps have been amazing.  I have a lot of questions and some may not be appropriate for this thread so let me know if another is better.

Roth 401k

PT job = 4% no match

-Life Cycle 2055, 30.01%

-PIMCO Total Return Bond, 10.12%

-BlackRock Equity Index, 49.96%

-Company stock, 9.91%

FT job = 7% with 7% match, beginning at the end of January, monthly payments.  This will be split up in 401a and 457b, both will be pretaxed.

401a = 4.5% with 7% matching

457b = 2.5%

Thoughts on investments?  I also may be getting a job at another state institution, how would this roll over if it happens to only have 1 month of contributions in it?

Debts

Cap1 = $3458 CO

Chase = $1632 CO

Cap 1 = $1365 CO

Car loan = $5250

Collections

National Credit Systems = $7013 (Apartment lease)

Calvary Portfoilo = $2594 (Amazon)

Workz & Lentz = $510 (medical)

I also have Sprint in collections but it doesn't show up on either of my reports.

What to do?

I will be receiving a check of roughly $9000 and I have no idea what I should do with it.  I have a lease I am paying $690 on and I was thinking of paying the remainder of the lease out, which is $4140 total.  I would pay off both Cap 1 cards, and then use the $690 to pay towards Chase.  Or should I just continue to pay the $690 and pay off all the CCs?  I also was thinking of paying off my car loan AND lease which would free up roughly 900 month and I would use that to pay towards my cards.  Upon speaking with other individuals, collections shouldnt matter right now because I have non-collections debt that should take priority. I'm at an impasse and don't know what I should do and what the best option would be.  Any recommendations would be of great help.

Starting Score 12/2018: 521 EX; 553 TU; 508 EQ
Current Score 04/2021: 627 EX; 632 TU; 622 EQ
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
4 REPLIES 4
audio-disabled
Regular Contributor

Re: 401k, debt payoff, oh my.

The first question come to mind is what are you planning for short term, long term? Anything major?

You say you have a lease that you pay $690/mo, which I am assuming is meant for auto lease? If so, paying off the remainder does not even help at all, at least I don't think so. Ride it out.

What are the age of each collection accounts and charged off accounts? I would first pay off any charged off accounts that are the youngest, but do a pay-for-delete. Then work your way down towards the collection accounts.

I did a quick google search on charge off vs collections, this is one of few that came up (I chose this one because GW/pay-for-delete): https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/What-s-worse-Collection-Account-or-Charge-Of...

If you have any accounts that are getting close to 7 year mark, let it go. Due to FCRA, they will fall off your credit report.

$5000 Barclay Apple Visa | $4500 CapitalOne Platinum | $6000 SL CapitalOne VentureOne | $10K SL PenFed Pathfinder | $3500 Wells Fargo Platinum | $9500 BECU Visa
Goals: Grow scores into 700s
Message 2 of 5
CrimsonMoon93
Contributor

I graduate college in May, so I want the things hovering over my head to be gone.  I hope to get a job in my career field as well and might move because of it.  

My lease is on an apartment. So, no its not on an auto. 

All accounts are within the last 3 years.  Doing a PFD sounds like a good idea for the COs.

Starting Score 12/2018: 521 EX; 553 TU; 508 EQ
Current Score 04/2021: 627 EX; 632 TU; 622 EQ
Goal Score: 700

Message 3 of 5
audio-disabled
Regular Contributor

You got time to work towards better credit situation. But definitely do not payoff the remainder of your apartment lease, it will not make any difference.

You will want to improve your credit by paying off any charge-off and collection accounts. Best of luck!

Oh, as for your investment, I sent you a PM.

$5000 Barclay Apple Visa | $4500 CapitalOne Platinum | $6000 SL CapitalOne VentureOne | $10K SL PenFed Pathfinder | $3500 Wells Fargo Platinum | $9500 BECU Visa
Goals: Grow scores into 700s
Message 4 of 5
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Debts

Cap1 = $3458 CO - try a PFD (settle for 2k)

Chase = $1632 CO - try a PFD (settle for 1k) 

Cap 1 = $1365 CO - try a PFD (settle for 1k) 

Car loan = $5250 pay as agreed.

Collections

National Credit Systems = $7013 (Apartment lease) - try a PFD (offer 3.5k settlement; if not go for a payment arrangement) 

Calvary Portfoilo = $2594 (Amazon) - send the DV first; they deleted for me 

Workz & Lentz = $510 (medical) - try a PFD (offer 300 settlement) 

I also have Sprint in collections but it doesn't show up on either of my reports. - call and pay them before they start reporting.

9k is enough to give you a jump start to rebuild. I would definately make sure that you are paying your current bills on time every time. Put aside $1500 for savings and use $7500 to make as many PFD deals as you can make. The bad thing about CO and collections is that you won't see a score boost until they are aged a bit or ALL are removed from your report. I had Cap1 COs, but they were transferred to a CA, so since yours are still with the OC, maybe you can make a deal? 

Best of luck, know that you came to the right place for advice and stick to your plan. I look forward to seeing your progress. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.