cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5.5 Year Old Medical Bill - possible to sue?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

5.5 Year Old Medical Bill - possible to sue?

I have a 8k medical bill from about 5 years ago. State it was created in was GA but I have since moved to TX and now NV (military).

With it's age the SOL from GA is one year, but it is still on my report. I doubt I will be able to get them to get it off though I am sending for DV.

It is by far the highest amount of anything I have on my credit report. Should I be concerned? Should I poke that bear? Should I leave it to nap?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: 5.5 Year Old Medical Bill - possible to sue?

State SOL has no effect on credit report exclusion.

Credit report exclusion of a collection is no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD.

SOL expiration relates to the period within which they must initiate civil action should they additionally seek a court judgment on the debt.

Debt collectors have the express option under the FDCPA to bring civil action in either the state where the contract that created the debt was executed or in the state of current residency of the consumer.  For various legal and administrative reasons, they will usually bring civil action in the current state of residency of the consumer.

The SOL that must be used by the court will be the SOL of the state where the action is filed.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.