cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

540 score and wanting to buy a house, car and qualify for Amex in the next twelve months-need advise

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 540 score and wanting to buy a house, car and qualify for Amex in the next twelve months-need ad

Ah so thats how that bill popped up. I am going to call them right away. And you are right-I need to get all my scores. I've done done that yet. And I paid $200 for my Discover It so that card will be coming soon. I just need to decide on the third one.

I'm pretty much forgetting about the car. I need to focus on the house. I actually want to buys a house on some land(1-3 acres). That is not too expensive in the state I live in so its doable. I can do without a car for a year or so.

I'm still looking at all self lender options. I have not decided on which one to use yet. 

@DollyLama wrote:

Creditors tend to soft pull your file every few months, sometimes more often if collections. They see you improving your score, obtaining credit, they know you are rebuilding and would most likely care about and pay the bill. It is not uncommon. Also, if you haven't check for your free annual credit report with all 3 bureaus, I'd recommend this now. As there might be less or more on 1 or 2 bureaus that is not on your Experian report. You can't rely that every creditor or collection agency will report to all 3.  Best to take care of business now on all bureaus, and not focus on just 1 or 2. 

The advice given is good, congrats on the Discover, and upcoming self lender. After you have the 3 credit cards and self lender, stop all seeking credit if mortgage is your goal. Use the cards responsibly and establish a credit history with them for minimum 13 months to 18 month history. Let those cards graduate and eventually the line of credit will be extended. 

Do monitor with wallet hub, credit karma only to see if anything pops up, do not use those scores as your FICO score, as they are not FICO but Vantage scoring.  Do everything in your power to plead for pay for deletes, contact the newest electric collection company, or dispute it first and see if it is truly legitimate, and if so, contact immediately, plead you were unaware of such an outstanding bill until it appears while monitoring your credit, and get it taken care of immediately and get a deletion. The sooner the chances are better. 

When you feel you have a good years worth of history with Cap 1, Discover and Self Lender,  collections cleared up to the best of your abilility and are about 6-9 months away from wanting to obtain a mortgage, purchase your 3B scores here, as they will also give you the "mortgage" scores that lenders will use. These differ from FICO 8 scores. They will use the "middle" mortgage score, tossing out the highest and lowest score, so if 620, 614, 598, your middle score will be 614. 

Message 41 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.