Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5yr Old Trade Line - Question...

tag
Fresh101
Regular Contributor

5yr Old Trade Line - Question...

Hello Guys, I have a collection account that is only showing on Experian. I am wondering if this collection account actually bringing my score down or does it have any effect?

Account Information:

1- It is paid as agreed since 2007,

2- CA does not have the account linked with my SS#,

3- it's a Comcast account back in 2007,

4- Contacted Comcast about it, they do not have any record either about that account or in fact i have never had an account with them even running my SS# did not show anything.

5- The agent at Comcast said that even if I had an account 20 years ago they would have pulled it off with my SS# and nothing.

6- Contacted CA to remove and they told me that it will fall off after the 7.5 years, that they couldn't remove it, and that they didn't understand why it was there and with no SS# but yet it's on my credit file.

QUESTIONS:

Is this account actually hurting my score?

If it's hurting, how should I try working to get it removed?

Thanks in advance

Starting: 547 +Score EX, 541 MyFico EQ,562 MyFico TU (Dec 2nd)

Current: 736 FCR "EX" (Nov. 5th), 668 MyFico "EQ" (Nov. 5th), 748 MyFico "TU" (Nov. 5th)

CC: BB&T $2,500 CL 3/2013, BarclayCard $3,000 CL 4/2013, WellsFargo $300 CL 7/2012 & Cap1 $451 CL 5/2012

Goal Score: 800's Rank
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: 5yr Old Trade Line - Question...

@Fresh101 wrote:

Hello Guys, I have a collection account that is only showing on Experian. I am wondering if this collection account actually bringing my score down or does it have any effect?

Account Information:

1- It is paid as agreed since 2007,

2- CA does not have the account linked with my SS#,

3- it's a Comcast account back in 2007,

4- Contacted Comcast about it, they do not have any record either about that account or in fact i have never had an account with them even running my SS# did not show anything.

5- The agent at Comcast said that even if I had an account 20 years ago they would have pulled it off with my SS# and nothing.

6- Contacted CA to remove and they told me that it will fall off after the 7.5 years, that they couldn't remove it, and that they didn't understand why it was there and with no SS# but yet it's on my credit file.

QUESTIONS:

Is this account actually hurting my score?

If it's hurting, how should I try working to get it removed?

Thanks in advance

If it is a collection then it is most certainly hurting your FICO score.    Accounts can be added without a SSN, usually it's just done thru name & address.     If it is paid then I'd keep sending GW letters to the CA to ask them to remove.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Fresh101
Regular Contributor

thank you pizzadude for the response.

i'll continue to get it removed.

Current: 736 FCR "EX" (Nov. 5th), 668 MyFico "EQ" (Nov. 5th), 748 MyFico "TU" (Nov. 5th)

CC: BB&T $2,500 CL 3/2013, BarclayCard $3,000 CL 4/2013, WellsFargo $300 CL 7/2012 & Cap1 $451 CL 5/2012

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The quickest way to have removed the reporting was by having asserted it as related to an OC debt that you never authorized, and thus initiating the identity theft process of FCRA 605B and 609(e).

However, having paid the debt, it might be a bit tough to file a police report attesting that the debt was not yours.  Lots of questions would likely flow from that assertion.

So, in my opinion, your best path is now closed.

However, you might address it by going the longer way around the barn.  If you send them a direct dispute, offering a legitimate assertion of debt not mine, but absent a police report (which a dispute does not require), that would, in my opinion, be adequate to contest the accuracy of their reporting.  That triggers a 30-day period for them to investigate the accuracy of their reporting.  If they have zilch information upon which to investigate, it will make investigation a bit tough. They have only three options in responding to a legitimate dispute: verify the accuracy, correct it so as to make it accurate in view of the results of their investigation, or delete it.

Message 4 of 5
Fresh101
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The quickest way to have removed the reporting was by having asserted it as related to an OC debt that you never authorized, and thus initiating the identity theft process of FCRA 605B and 609(e).

However, having paid the debt, it might be a bit tough to file a police report attesting that the debt was not yours.  Lots of questions would likely flow from that assertion.

So, in my opinion, your best path is now closed.

However, you might address it by going the longer way around the barn.  If you send them a direct dispute, offering a legitimate assertion of debt not mine, but absent a police report (which a dispute does not require), that would, in my opinion, be adequate to contest the accuracy of their reporting.  That triggers a 30-day period for them to investigate the accuracy of their reporting.  If they have zilch information upon which to investigate, it will make investigation a bit tough. They have only three options in responding to a legitimate dispute: verify the accuracy, correct it so as to make it accurate in view of the results of their investigation, or delete it.

I actually do not remember about this account or paying for it. I contacted Ex and explained to them what's going on and what CA and OC had told me and that OC couldn't pull my SS# with any account as far as 20 years back. The CRA informed me that I had disputed in 2007 as not accurate and then I disputed in Decmeber 2011 as not mine continuing until present. The agent at CRA adviced me to file a police report and then submit it to them.

It is paid and no debt is owed. I really don't know if it's mine or what. I never had it but I can't remember if my ex ever used my info for Comcast!!!

Should I get the police report and sent to them for removal? Thanks in advance

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.