cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 year old deliquency. early removal?

tag
nlyngso
New Visitor

Re: 6 year old delinquency. Early removal?

The answer is YES! - I see that the Collection agency no longer has the account. If you file a

@Anonymous wrote:

I had an old loan that went 90+ days back in November 2006, I ended up paying it off completely in 1 full payment. long story short I didn't even know my parents had opened this loan for me. in the end I ended up paying it in full just to make it go away.

Fast forward to current time. It has been 6 years and 3 months since the last report on this, I am looking to buy a house and this flag is bringing my score way down, possibly 20-30 points or so. Is there any way I can call the US. Dept of Education and have them remove this early? Has anyone done this before?

dispute with the credit bureaus, the collection agency will not be able to verify the accuracy.

Message 41 of 52
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: 6 year old deliquency. early removal?

@ Shogun, I took 2 muslce relaxers last night. I slept really good Smiley Happy

Message 42 of 52
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@DaBears wrote:

@ Shogun, I took 2 muslce relaxers last night. I slept really good Smiley Happy

ZZZZZZZZ.........  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 43 of 52
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

I don't know how much impact a 6 year old debt has on your score, but every time I get a score explantion or credit denial the key factor liisted is "you have one or more serious delinquencies and one or more late payments".  My next to the last late payment was 7 years ago, account closed, paid in full, still on report.  Last 60 day late is 6 years 5 months, current account, still open and using, only reported on one CRA as late in status. I had emergency issues in 2006 and talked to my creditors, but it did,t help with some. I haven't had a late payment since 2006 but the notes on the credit reports need to be romoved.

Message 44 of 52
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

It's sometimes better to dispute wwith the company. I disputed a collection account who had never contacted me, listed my account as a charge off/paid in full.  I had only had late payments, paid the account in the store like I had always done. The collection appeared on my report fter the account was paid and closed.  First late payment November 2005. I disputed this for several years with the CRAs.  Last May (2012) Equifax and TransUnion removed the account but Experian or the company added a KD to payment history in June 2012 reaging the account. I wrote the company and they removed the entry.

Message 45 of 52
spikedirt
New Visitor

At this point in time the delinquency isn't pulling your score down very much.  FICO pro rates (for lack of a better term) scores over time so your score goes up as the delinquency gets older.  I'm not saying don't remove it, that's up to you, but be prepared to be disappointed in the effect on your FICO score.

Message 46 of 52
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@spikedirt wrote:

At this point in time the delinquency isn't pulling your score down very much.  FICO pro rates (for lack of a better term) scores over time so your score goes up as the delinquency gets older.  I'm not saying don't remove it, that's up to you, but be prepared to be disappointed in the effect on your FICO score.

It depends on the amount of baddies...

If this is the only one, that 'prorating' you describe gets completely changed do to rebucketing anyway..

So like, yes, if you have 5 negatives, that old one isn't doing much at all... but if you only have one, and its that one? It could be impacting more than you think, esp if rebucketing would put you in a high achiever range.. (ie everything else looks good, good mix, good util ect ect)

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 47 of 52
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 48 of 52
Heidila
New Visitor

I have some medical disputes that are still showing on my report.  What can I do to get them removed?

Message 49 of 52
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

What is "rebucketed"?  I haven't heard of that.  My almost 7 year old collection account was reaged with a KD placed on my report by either the collection agency or Experian, and my summary status showed time since delinquency 2 months when I saw it.  This a result of a dispute with the CRAs.

Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.