Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

609 letter results

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

609 letter results

So for anyone curious if 609 letters work I sent out 3 letters on the 14th and 2 weeks later no reply from transunion or experian but equifax did remove 1 item and everything else is pending. So not sure if it is good or bad so far.
50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 609 letter results

I've been using them and they worked for me . Within the first 2 weeks my score increases 15 points . I started with 17 collection accounts now I only have 6 left total on all 3 reports. Don't worry I felt the same way then I started getting alerts . But TU was the last to make any changes . It would be a good idea to get credit monitoring so you can get the alerts when it chages . 

Message 2 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the 609's with good success. I sent them for 4 months updating as I went. I had about 70% removed. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Message 3 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long before they started removing items for you

Message 4 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who do you recommend for credit monitoring. I do get updates with Kredit Karma, Credit Seasame, Experian

Message 5 of 51
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In general, FCRA 609 relates to situations where a consumer is entitled to request and receive information from a CRA.

It does not generally provide for "removal" or deletion of inaccurate information.

It is a basis for determining what information is in your file, and how it was provided.

To then seek deletion or corrrection involves use of the dispute process, either via a dispute to the CRA under FCRA 611 or directly to the furnisher under FCRA 623(a)(8).

The dispute processes define the additional requirment for an investigation by the furnisher or reinvestigation by the CRA, which then can result in deletion or correction.

How are you using a "609 letter" as a basis for removal of information?

Have you filed a dispute to then obtain an investigation/reinvestigation?

I am aware that the internet abounds with sites that offer a special or guaranteed removal process using their special 609 letters that they offer to sell.  Those sites are, in my opinion, a scam without legal basis supporting any required deletion outcome.

Message 6 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly I sent out letters I found online that simply state I wish to see the information used to verify my records and if they can not produce it they must remove the account from my files.

Message 7 of 51
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no such deletion provision set forth under FCRA 609 based on the adequacy, or lack thereof, of response to a section 609 request.

Deletion is provided for under the dispute processes (sections 611 or 623(a)(8)), but applies ONLY to the specific information that is identified as being subject of the dispute, and then only if the accuracy is not verified.

Documentation is not a requirement for verification of disputed information.

Message 8 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know people keep saying there is no provision for deletion under 609 but yet credit bureaus still delete under a 609 dispute. This may be because people are requesting information about the account itself and since the account is not verifiable it is deleted. Many creditors buy bulk accounts but recieve no information attached to the account so they can not verify anything on thw account. Whether or not this is directly linked to 609 or not it seems to work.
Message 9 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any updates?
Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.