cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

670 a goal score for those of us that started in the crapper?

tag
jons998877
Regular Contributor

670 a goal score for those of us that started in the crapper?

Is that a fair assessment as it when one goes from fair to good and auto rates drop and prime card chances increases..

Begin of Journey ( 9/2018) EX 508 TU 506 EQ 498

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

Re: 670 a goal score for those of us that started in the crapper?

@jons998877 wrote:

Is that a fair assessment as it when one goes from fair to good and auto rates drop and prime card chances increases..

I totally did a happy dance when mine FINALLY hit 670!  I set the alerts on MYFICO account to notify me when I hit 670.

Starting FICO 8 December 2017

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 2 of 20
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

@jons998877 wrote:

Most people try to go straight to 700 but for me 670 would be an awesome leap from where I’m coming from now. 

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

670 would certainly make me do a happy dance. The problem I'm working through is patience. I'm getting better though, whenever I'm stalking my reports, or waiting for an alert to a change, I just come here to read, and try to contributeSmiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 20
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@jons998877 wrote:

Sure, 670 is a good benchmark to show improvement, from fair to good.   Approvals can increase. Rates can drop.  I will definitely be happy when I go back above 670 across my benchmarks.

On the other hand, it is not a panacea for high rates, AA and application denials.   You can definitely still get declined for example if your 670 includes something that the card issuer does not like, or if "good aint good enough".

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 5 of 20
jons998877
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

670 would certainly make me do a happy dance. The problem I'm working through is patience. I'm getting better though, whenever I'm stalking my reports, or waiting for an alert to a change, I just come here to read, and try to contributeSmiley Very Happy

Thats how I am now, feel like there is nothing I can really do but garden... I have no unpaid colections or chargoffs.. waiting for the AAoA increase (currently 5 months) and the bad stuff age, with some falling off this year, but 3 baddies there until 2023 or 2024 with no luck with GWs...

Begin of Journey ( 9/2018) EX 508 TU 506 EQ 498

Message 6 of 20
calyx
Super Contributor

I think the biggest, and most frustrating, thing people do is set their immediate goals too high.

When I started, my goal was 640... then 680 (I wanted a little wiggleroom above 670), then 700, then 720...  and then 'clean' reports and different colored spades.

I think when someone in the 500s sets 700 as the carrot in front of their nose it's just really easy to get disappointed in the time it takes to get there.   I really lucked out and my score rose quickly once I got a good grip on them, but it happened in spurts - the doldrums of the 650s might have been torturous, but I got there eventually without too much frustration since I was shooting for 670/680 instead of 700.

And 670 is great.  My EQ took a 26pt hit the DAY BEFORE my car died (unexpected reporting, thanks Sync), so when I went to get a loan, it was just above 670 and I still scored a 3.29%APR on the new loan.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 7 of 20
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The benefits of having a good score can be well worth the effort. Imagine your credit score was 660, putting it in the fair range. Improving your score  to 700 would move you to the good range, opening you up to new borrowing options and better terms.  Though it does help in the score range the higher the score even though its considered good per say.

FICO scores range from 300 to 850:

• 800+ is exceptional.
  • 740 to 799 is very good.
  • 670 to 739 is good and represents the median credit score range.
  • 580 to 669 is below average.
  • 579 or less is poor.

Here's chart to compare rates from FICO.

700-credit-score-2.png

Message 8 of 20
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Any score is just a numerical representation of your entire CR 

670 on a young file is more likely to get a denial than thick, aged profile with the same  670 

It's the reasons behind the score that count the most, as so much goes into it. 

You can have 750 with a year worth of credit history, but you wont get the best rates. You could have 670 with 10 years and get a lot better rate. 

My scores are okay, but I have too many new accounts and would probably get a denial from everyone. Currently,  my scores are for show and tell. Nothing I can do with them 🤷

Message 9 of 20
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

670 is definately a milestone you will all hear me screaming happily about and even louder when I hit 700.  

Currently, I am stalking my mortgage scores (EQ finally hit 640 YAY!!)...the difference in rates for 700+ mortgage scores is crazy!

Keep up the good work everyone. Smiley Happy  

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.