Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 Years old debt - Collection suddenly calling now

tag
Carpediem24

7 Years old debt - Collection suddenly calling now

Hello,

I opened a credit card with $500 CL back in 11/2007 with National City Bank in Michigan. I was a student back then, stupid and irresponsible. I couldnt pay the balance that has now come up to $850. The last activity on this card (120 days late) was in March 2009. I am hoping that in less 2 years (7 years from 03/2009) this negative entry will fall off my report. I have, since then, had a good credit history of paying more than 12 accounts with revolving debt and an auto loan that started at $17000 and is now at less than $7000. My credit score has climbed to being just shy of 700, which started at 560.

Yesterday, the 19th of May, I suddenly get a mail from a collection agency about this. The letter has a service date of 11/2007 even though the last activity on my CR is 3/2009.

Should I take it seriously in terms that the Statute of limit has passed or not (2007 vs 2009). Secondly the bank that gave me the card has since been acquired by PNC in New Jersey and they are listed as the original creditor in my CR. The statute of limit for MI and/or NJ is 6 years which is passed based on the date in the collection letter. Can this restart the 7 years time on my credit report now? Is paying it off in my credit's interest or am I harming it more by restarting the activity on the CR.

Please help! Should I even speak to them and negotiate a lower amount or pay-to-delete or something?

Mid 2012 - 560
Mid 2013 - EX: 610 TU: 615; EQ:590
Mid 2014 - EX, TU: 677; EQ:650
Goal Score: Mid 2015 - 720+
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 7 Years old debt - Collection suddenly calling now

@Carpediem24 wrote:

Hello,

I opened a credit card with $500 CL back in 11/2007 with National City Bank in Michigan. I was a student back then, stupid and irresponsible. I couldnt pay the balance that has now come up to $850. The last activity on this card (120 days late) was in March 2009. I am hoping that in less 2 years (7 years from 03/2009) this negative entry will fall off my report. I have, since then, had a good credit history of paying more than 12 accounts with revolving debt and an auto loan that started at $17000 and is now at less than $7000. My credit score has climbed to being just shy of 700, which started at 560.

Yesterday, the 19th of May, I suddenly get a mail from a collection agency about this. The letter has a service date of 11/2007 even though the last activity on my CR is 3/2009.

Should I take it seriously in terms that the Statute of limit has passed or not (2007 vs 2009). Secondly the bank that gave me the card has since been acquired by PNC in New Jersey and they are listed as the original creditor in my CR. The statute of limit for MI and/or NJ is 6 years which is passed based on the date in the collection letter. Can this restart the 7 years time on my credit report now? Is paying it off in my credit's interest or am I harming it more by restarting the activity on the CR.

Please help! Should I even speak to them and negotiate a lower amount or pay-to-delete or something?

The date of last activity does not set the clock for the SOL nor the CRTP.  The DoFD does.  That is when the account went in arrears and was not brought back current.   So without looking at a good pull of your CR, it's difficult for me to tell the exact date of this.

Have you pulled your reports from www.annualcreditreport.com ?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 20
TimHansel01
New Visitor

I hate zombie debt collectors.  Its the thing that got me interested in repairing my credit in the first place.  All day I just kept hearing from them about how I needed to pay a debt that I couldn't even remember where it came from!  Everytime that I tried to ask them about the logistics of the debt, they kept giving me the run around.  I filed a cease and desist with through LifeCreditDebt to stop their collection calls and fortunately that stopped right away.  After a bit more research, I discovered that the debt was out of the statute of limitations in my state, so I sent them a letter stating my rights via certified mail.  Have to say, that has always been the key to getting the creditors to answer on time.  Glad to finally get that removed from my credit report.

Message 3 of 20
Carpediem24

I have pulled my report in the past. However I dont have access to it right now. I had a paid subscription with Idenity Guard, which I cancelled a month ago.

The first '30-days-late' was 02/2008. Then I again paid for a couple months and then 6/2008 was the last payment done, according to myfico report.

Does that help?

Mid 2012 - 560
Message 4 of 20
Carpediem24

Anyone with a reply? Please?

Mid 2012 - 560
Message 5 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Carpediem24 wrote:

I have pulled my report in the past. However I dont have access to it right now. I had a paid subscription with Idenity Guard, which I cancelled a month ago.

The first '30-days-late' was 02/2008. Then I again paid for a couple months and then 6/2008 was the last payment done, according to myfico report.

Does that help?

02/08 would be the DoFD if you never again brought the account current, did you bring it or was it current in 06/08??

DoFD is a 30 day late that leads to CO.

Message 6 of 20
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Carpediem24 wrote:

Does that help?

That means your 30 day late would have been 7/2008 or 8/2008.  Contact them and advise them to cease and desist contacting you as you are past the statue of limitation and do not want their calls or letters. The only way the time would restart is if they convince you to send money, etc. I've seen very good language for a letter in one of the forums if you decide to contact them by mail.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 20
Carpediem24

Thanks for your responses gdale6 and bdhu2001

My 30 day late was 7/2008 that was never brought back to 'current'. So 6/2008 was the last payment done.

So do I wait for another month before writing them a mail to stop calling me because 7/2014 would be 6 years (SOL for NJ is 6 years)? Also, could you be kind enough to direct me towards that nicely worded mail you mentioned?

Can they still report it to the credit bureaus? How can I stop that? I am planning to buy a car in 09/2015 and I dont want this monkey on my back. So what is the best course of action for me to keep my credit file clean? I dont have any other baddies apart from this. I had 'too many inquiries' last year but it'll fall off eventually, definitely before 9/2015.

Thanks again, in advance! God Bless

Mid 2012 - 560
Message 8 of 20
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

@Carpediem24 wrote:

My 30 day late was 7/2008 that was never brought back to 'current'. So 6/2008 was the last payment done.

So do I wait for another month before writing them a mail to stop calling me because 7/2014 would be 6 years (SOL for NJ is 6 years)? Also, could you be kind enough to direct me towards that nicely worded mail you mentioned?

Can they still report it to the credit bureaus? How can I stop that? I am planning to buy a car in 09/2015 and I dont want this monkey on my back. So what is the best course of action for me to keep my credit file clean? I dont have any other baddies apart from this. I had 'too many inquiries' last year but it'll fall off eventually, definitely before 9/2015.

If the DOFD was 6/2008, then it can be reported on your credit reports until 6/2015, but the company reporting has 6 months to remove it. So really, it can remain until 12/2015. If you want it removed earlier, however, wait until you are SOL, then try asking the CRA(s) reporting for an early exclusion. I think that's what it's called, maybe another member can elaborate on that a bit better. I've seen people get their negatives removed even 6 months before the 7 year CRTP mark, but that may or may not work. It depends. You could definitely have it off your back by the time you wanna get your car. Not guaranteeing it, but since the 7 year CRTP date is 6/2015, you could ask the CRAs nicely to remove it before then. Smiley Happy

As for the C&D, If you haven't talked to them already, wait until next month, in my opinion. Best not to stir the hornet's nest when you are less than 30 days away from it being a time-barred debt. Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 9 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@xaiduz114 wrote:

@Carpediem24 wrote:

If the DOFD was 6/2008, then it can be reported on your credit reports until 6/2015, but the company reporting has 6 months to remove it. So really, it can remain until 12/2015. If you want it removed earlier, however, wait until you are SOL, then try asking the CRA(s) reporting for an early exclusion. I think that's what it's called, maybe another member can elaborate on that a bit better. I've seen people get their negatives removed even 6 months before the 7 year CRTP mark, but that may or may not work. It depends. You could definitely have it off your back by the time you wanna get your car. Not guaranteeing it, but since the 7 year CRTP date is 6/2015, you could ask the CRAs nicely to remove it before then. Smiley Happy

As for the C&D, If you haven't talked to them already, wait until next month, in my opinion. Best not to stir the hornet's nest when you are less than 30 days away from it being a time-barred debt. Smiley Very Happy

Actually if it went 30 late in 07/08 that is the DOFD, what Xaiduz is saying here is pretty sound, I would definitely wait till SOL passes before sending off any C*D letters dont want to stir the nest at the last minute and end up with a lawsuit, SOL also goes from DoFD. Max reporting time is 7.5 yrs from the DoFD for CRs.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.