Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

82 year old mom first collection--help please

tag
coachcb
Established Member

82 year old mom first collection--help please

Dear Friends,

As a past user of this forum to build my credit above 800 in two years, I come back to you to help me with my mom and dad getting a letter from TRS Recovery Services.  My mom, who has some demenita issues, wrote a check to pay for a Blair LLC charge.  She had forgotten that the checking account had been closed for over a year.  Blair (clothing ordered from Blair clothing magazine) then sent it to collections at TRS Recovery Serivices.  The bank returned the above referenced check marked as unpaid.  The check was written on 10-3-2013 and my parents received this notice on November 13th.  They are very upset over this and thought they needed a lawyer.  They have never been late on a bill in their entire life!  I let them know that you could assist.  They do not want this to impact their credit score.  Thanks for the help.  The language "This is an attempt to collect a debt."  It is for a $63.96 debit to Blair and is now $88.96 for a service charge added.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: 82 year old mom first collection--help please

You should call them and explain what you wrote here. Ask them if they would please remove from their credit report as a favor for the unfortunate miss understanding. If you don't have a number write. If they agree ask them for it in writing. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will add something. I can't believe they would be so heartless not to do it. Good luck.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 5
coachcb
Established Member

I thought that the rule was to never call a collection agency!  My guess would have been to write a goodwill letter.  HELP as to what to do?

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would contact Blair and explain what happened.

Since it was such a short time ago it may not actually be in collections but in pre-collections.

See what they say and if they will stop the collections if you pay them directly.

Message 4 of 5
coachcb
Established Member

Called Blair to attempt to figure this out.  Of course, the person I talked with could not finalize it and they will have to call me back.  This will be interesting.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.