Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90 days lates with Nelnet

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

90 days lates with Nelnet

Hello! Im attempting to purchase a home soon and needing advice. Nelnet has 90 day lates reporting from 2/2019. Its 14 altogether since they all report as different accounts. I was under the impression that since i was “half-time” in school the loan would be deferrred until graduation. I filled out the form online saying i was still in school and they verified my enrollment with the school. I didnt get a response on the status on my loan until i got a email saying my payment was 45 days late. So i called Nelnet and explained and they said i was half time since i was enrolled in at least 5 credits. Fast forward 45 days and i get an alert about 90 day lates on my report. First thing i did was call Nelnet and asked about it and the CSR informed me the “half time” to Nelnet is 6 credits not the 5 the other rep told me. Any suggestions on how to get these off? They are killing my scores! Thank you in advance
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: 90 days lates with Nelnet

Sorry this happened. I'll ping @calyx our in house SL guru. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 7
calyx
Super Contributor

I would suggest you call/contact them and see if you can get someone a little higher on the proverbial food chain.
Explain the situation, and then ask that since you were misinformed about the requirements, but could still not afford to make payments that you would like to inquire about retroactive forebearance.    It's just like it sounds - they retroactively apply a forebearance on those months so that you would not have had to make a payment (though interest would still accrue).   They should send you a letter so you can get the CRAs to update correctly (Nelnet should inform them to remove the lates, but I wouldn't trust them to do it).

You could also try a goodwill letter campaign (search in this forum for samples, examples), but those don't always yield good results and might take a while.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I will try that!
Message 4 of 7
Mookey67
Contributor

It is not up to a servicer to determine your enrollment status. It is the school. They don’t certify your credit hours but your status such as full time, half time or part time. The verbiage is very important. If says part time then you would not be eligible for school deferment. You would need to contact the school to see what they reported and what they consider your enrollment status to be. I’m not sure how you applied for school deferment online because it requires signatures from the registrars office. You would have had to manually take it to the school if they don’t report automatically. Reporting at least half time was one of the reasons to automatically remove negative information but im not sure of Nelnets policy regarding that
Exp - 850 TU - 846 EQ - 846
Message 5 of 7
Mookey67
Contributor

Forbearance is not an automatic reason to remove negative information. That is because technically you were late. The forbearance letter basically says it covers a time period. It’s a forbearance that is processed retroactively that can be used to cover delinquency. Not that you were forbearance the entire time. They do make calls and send out letters before. Not trying to be a negative Nelly here but I’ve heard a few others (rarely) here say they had The negative information removed with one but it is rare and if so it’s usually through the credit bureaus directly because they don’t know or read the letter. The servicer will more than likely decline to remove because it’s not an error. I apologize because I know this is not what you want to hear
Exp - 850 TU - 846 EQ - 846
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was technically under part time per my school. Half time would have been 6 credits, i was at 5. I dont believe i have any options
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.