Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A CA cost me 100 pts???!!!

tag
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

A CA cost me 100 pts???!!!

A few days ago I received a email stating that my fico score had changed and it had dropped a 100points because of a new collection for medical data systems. The amount is 528.14 I contacted the CA and When debt was validated that it was indeed mine I settled.  I informed them that this debt was reported by another agency last year and I attempted to pay them by check over the phone but they never cashed the check so I am assuming that the debt was sold to them and I asked them why hadn't they contacted me before reporting to the credit report agencies they say that they talked to someone in my home but could not say if it was female or male. So they gave out my information to an unknown party. They said they contacted me through mail and I informed them that I never received any call or any mail, I asked to speak to a supervisor; when she got on the phone I explained to her the situation and she became irate when I told her that she didn't speak to me and that she must be mistaken. I ended the call because I don't appreciate being spoken to in that manner. I asked them to do a pfd but they refused stating that it is illegal to sell debt. They say once the check clear that they will update the CRA to PIF.... What can I do to get this removed? I lost 100 points and I know once they update it that it wont raise my score cuz its so new. Can I still dispute it? So myfico score is now 644 and we were apping for a mortgage on March. There is no way we going to get that back by then.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: A CA cost me 100 pts???!!!

this is the mortgage forum.... try the credit forum

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 7
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

this is the mortgage forum.... try the credit forum

I know this is the mortgage forum. i was just venting and praying someone has been in my shoes can give me advice on how this will affect me apping for a mortgage in march. i also asked in the rebuilding forum but no response as of yet,.

Message 3 of 7
Determined_Home_Seeker
Established Member

So you settled instead of pay-for-delete? The same thing happened to me in October. We are trying to buy a home and I got a letter saying my account had been in collections for 2 MONTHS so I called and was very mad that they reported this to the CBs and I had never heard of it. I paid it right then and there, but did not think of pay to delete. This week I have paid my last three medical collections and all for deletion. I already received the deletion letters so I know it's really happening. BUT i am still stuck with that one from October. If this happens to you again I would pay to delete. 

Your last chance could be sending them a goodwill letter, it cant hurt.

Starting Score: 566 (mf) 572 (ck) 588 (exp) on 1/10/14
Current Score: 609 (mf), 598 (ck) 658 (exp)
Short Term Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

OP,

I moved your post from Mortgage Loans and deleted your post in Rebuilding as a duplicate.

I noted that you posted both threads within 30 minutes.  Please allow time for posts to have replies and refrain from posting duplicate threads across multiple boards. 

Thank you ~ Lexie, myFICO Moderator 

Message 5 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@swtneka wrote:

A few days ago I received a email stating that my fico score had changed and it had dropped a 100points because of a new collection for medical data systems. The amount is 528.14 I contacted the CA and When debt was validated that it was indeed mine I settled.  I informed them that this debt was reported by another agency last year and I attempted to pay them by check over the phone but they never cashed the check so I am assuming that the debt was sold to them and I asked them why hadn't they contacted me before reporting to the credit report agencies they say that they talked to someone in my home but could not say if it was female or male. So they gave out my information to an unknown party. They said they contacted me through mail and I informed them that I never received any call or any mail, I asked to speak to a supervisor; when she got on the phone I explained to her the situation and she became irate when I told her that she didn't speak to me and that she must be mistaken. I ended the call because I don't appreciate being spoken to in that manner. I asked them to do a pfd but they refused stating that it is illegal to sell debt. They say once the check clear that they will update the CRA to PIF.... What can I do to get this removed? I lost 100 points and I know once they update it that it wont raise my score cuz its so new. Can I still dispute it? So myfico score is now 644 and we were apping for a mortgage on March. There is no way we going to get that back by then.

If you have now paid the debt, your only remedy is to send GW letters.  You have no basis for a valid dispute since the debt is yours. 

Message 6 of 7
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

@Determined_Home_Seeker wrote:

So you settled instead of pay-for-delete? The same thing happened to me in October. We are trying to buy a home and I got a letter saying my account had been in collections for 2 MONTHS so I called and was very mad that they reported this to the CBs and I had never heard of it. I paid it right then and there, but did not think of pay to delete. This week I have paid my last three medical collections and all for deletion. I already received the deletion letters so I know it's really happening. BUT I am still stuck with that one from October. If this happens to you again I would pay to delete. 

Your last chance could be sending them a goodwill letter, it can't hurt.

Yea I settled for pif. They claim it was illegal to sell debt. After many phone calls they told me the only way they will delete is if the OC tells them to, so I left a message for the OC n I pray they will delete.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.