Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A collections agent just called me, what should I do

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A collections agent just called me, what should I do

I had a debt collector call me from Southwest Credit Systems about my previous T Mobile debt, apparently it moved to this one after being with Diversified for a year. I asked about PFD and they said they don't do it. I didn't specifically say I own the debt, I just talked about PFD and removing it from my credit report. What should I do next? Should I call them back and request a debt verify? Should I wait for them to call back?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: A collections agent just called me, what should I do

Call Tmobile, ask them to recall collection, then pay them directly. 

Unless you're willing to wait full 7 years for it to fall off, you'll be paying anyway. At least this way, the CA reporting may be removed from your CR 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did that twice today, both with different call agents, and they said that my debt was written off. I find this odd because when I contacted Diversified today, the previous CA, they said that Tmobile took back the debt and gave it to Southwest Credit Systems. Tmobile also said that they were not able to recall the debt from Southwest Credit Systems. This is very confusing. The original debt was 2 years ago. Is it true Tmobile is not really able to recall the debt or is there something special I have to say or request from Tmobile to make them do it?

Message 3 of 13
Medic981
Valued Contributor

If T-Mobile assigned the debt to a CA to collect it, they can recall the debt. If T-Mobile sold the debt to a debt buyer, then they can not recall it. The debt can be sold and resold to other debt buyers.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would first dispute it with all the CRA's, that's hit or miss though. definitely don't talk to them on the phone ever again, it's a waste of time, if they call you tell them to write you instead. if you want to negotiate, type out a letter and mail it the old fashion way. for legal reasons don't admit the debt is yours, but let them know you are open to the idea of paying for it to be removed. let them know you will not pay unless they fully delete it, marking it as paid isn't good enough. tell them that you know the longer it's on your credit report the less impact it has on your fico score. and you know if you simply wait, the debt will disappear all by itself. tell them you know that each time the debt is resold, it can be settled for less and less money. tell them if they don't want to do a pay for delete arrangement, they can go ahead and resell this debt to someone else and it works out better for the both of you. they'll get paid for the debt, and you'll potentially be able to settle with the new guy for even less money than ever before. it's a win-win. make them a lowball offer to get the negotiations started, and sign your name in ink pen at the bottom. address the letter to the CEO or management.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it is a legitimate debt then DO NOT dispute it with the CRAs as this can adversely affect your scores.  Dispute things on your CR that are incorrect but not items that are correct.  PFD often takes multiple calls/letters before you reach someone at the company willing to do it.  It usually does not happen with just one call and conversation.  It can take months, and even then sometimes, it won't happen at all.  Certain companies are notoriously hard to get to agree to PFD (looking at you CapitalOne).  Continue writing letters, emails, etc until someone hopefully agrees to do PFD.  Nothing usually happens quickly when rebuilding credit.

Message 6 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Question. Are you able to sign in online to your account? If so can you see the amount owed? And how far away is the nearest store.

Message 7 of 13
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i would first dispute it with all the CRA's, that's hit or miss though. 

Never ever dispute accurately reporting derogatory items on your credit report. Disputes are for removing inaccurate information from your credit report. By disputing accurate derogatory information, it will be updated and drop your FICO score.

Some people suggest throwing everything against the wall and see what sticks. What can happen is an original creditor (OC) or collection agency (CA) fails to verify the derogatory within the time limit and the derogatory is removed. FICO jumps and success!!!

What happens next is the OC or the CA gets around to verifying and updating the account and BOOM!!! The derogatory is back with a vengeance and your FICO is lower than before. Never ever dispute accurately reporting derogatory items on your credit report. (Unless you want to intentionally trash your FICO scores. YEMV)

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If it is a legitimate debt then DO NOT dispute it with the CRAs as this can adversely affect your scores.  Dispute things on your CR that are incorrect but not items that are correct.  PFD often takes multiple calls/letters before you reach someone at the company willing to do it.  It usually does not happen with just one call and conversation.  It can take months, and even then sometimes, it won't happen at all.  Certain companies are notoriously hard to get to agree to PFD (looking at you CapitalOne).  Continue writing letters, emails, etc until someone hopefully agrees to do PFD.  Nothing usually happens quickly when rebuilding credit.

i've never heard of it affecting your score to dispute something, it's your right to dispute. even if the debt was once his, it's been sold off and might have been forgiven. if this new collection company can't prove the debt is legit it will get wiped off in the dispute process.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i've never heard of it affecting your score to dispute something, it's your right to dispute. even if the debt was once his, it's been sold off and might have been forgiven. if this new collection company can't prove the debt is legit it will get wiped off in the dispute process.

If the debt comes back verified, then it will be newly reported.  Anything that is newly reported will hurt your score more than something that was reported say 3 years ago but not updated since then.  It would be like updating the deragatory on your CR which definitely could negatively affect your score.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.