cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA... oops

tag
JonnyLaw

AAoA... oops

Hi! My name is Jon and this is my first post on myFICO.

When I was much younger, I blew my credit to smithereens. I mean... bad! Well, fast forward a little over seven years and all the baddies have fallen off my credit reports except two unpaid medical bills from an ER stay while uninsured. I started building my credit back up, with two secured credit cards and a Walmart card... then a Speedway card... then an Amazon.com store card... then finally a Discover It card. I used each card sparingly, keeping a balance on only one secured card and Discover, to keep my utilization low.

Well, I went on a binge of applying for credit cards (mostly store cards from GE and Commity with small limits) and a few unsecured cards that I was approved for with $2k limits.

Then it hits me, after I've added at least ten or fifteen new cards that, once they arrive, I lock in my custommade locking shoebox... what about my AAoA?!?

Am I going to be royally screwed when all these new cards hit my credit report at he same time? I was thinking about utilization and available credit, not my AAoA!

Starting Score: At its worst... 410
Current Score: 649 (AMEX Denial)/565 Experian (1/10/2014)
Goal Score: 700 all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
dn0774

Re: AAoA... oops

Your AAoA will take a hit, but it should be easily offset by all the good you have done with the new approvals. Gaining new accounts is a necessary evil at some point if you really want to progress your credit worthiness in the eyes of lenders for the long haul. If you're trying to really maximize your score/worthiness for a big loan or mortgage in the near future it might've been advisable to hold off on the app spree (only someone much more knowledgable in the game can say for sure) for a couple more months.

The credit game is a marathon, not a sprint...keep that in mind.

Message 2 of 4
JonnyLaw

Thanks!

@dn0774 wrote:

Your AAoA will take a hit, but it should be easily offset by all the good you have done with the new approvals. Gaining new accounts is a necessary evil at some point if you really want to progress your credit worthiness in the eyes of lenders for the long haul. If you're trying to really maximize your score/worthiness for a big loan or mortgage in the near future it might've been advisable to hold off on the app spree (only someone much more knowledgable in the game can say for sure) for a couple more months.

The credit game is a marathon, not a sprint...keep that in mind.

Starting Score: At its worst... 410
Current Score: 649 (AMEX Denial)/565 Experian (1/10/2014)
Goal Score: 700 all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
brikays
Regular Contributor

Welcome to the forum, John!

~ Hover over cards to view limits ~

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.