Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABCD2199's Eleven Rules to Credit Rebuilding

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ABCD2199's Eleven Rules to Credit Rebuilding

My pleasure!  I am so happy that CMRRR letter worked for you -- I really do think the #1 reason most of my disputes with CRAs and with CAs were so successful because I showed them I was serious and demanded they be serious, too.  I am putting it in writing by mail, they better do the same.

Sometimes I wonder if the CRAs hire the worst analysts for the phone and online disputes but need a higher level of brains for those who have to read and input the written ones!

Message 11 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice guide and thanks for posting!

Im currently rebuilding and at 635 EX / 619 EQ / 635 TU - ive had a $200 Cap one Secured for 5 months and $200 Disco Secured for 7 months.  August I opened Best buy Store card ($1k - Current balance of $760) and a Jared store card ($2k - Current balance of $766).  Total util is around 56% due to the 2 store cards, im paying them down over the course of year both are at 0% interest.

Is it too early to try and app for a better card, or should I keep just making regular payments for now?  I don't carry a balance on the cap one or discover cards, pay in full every cycle.

Message 12 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question!  I am actually working on a calculator today that answers "should I app for a card today?" and hope I can post a link later today!

In my opinion, I would NOT app for another card if you're reporting 76% utilization on one card and 38.3% utilization on another with balances on 50% or more of your cards.

The cleanest profile you can manage involves the following "tree":

• Utilization on less than 1/3 of open cards -- if you have 4-6 cards total, you want to show usage on only 1 of them.  If you have 7 or more cards, 2 cards showing activity is fine.  This hurts your FICO score for too many cards showing usage.
  • Utilization of less than 28.9% as your highest on any card -- 48.9% is probably acceptable but I've seen denials and/or low starting limits because of higher usage.  Getting your usage down is important before applying so you can maximize approvals and maximize starting limits.
  • Aggregate utilization of less than 8.9% total limits -- in your case, $300 is about the most TOTAL you should be reporting.

If you can get those 3 things "corrected" over time, your scores should go up pretty nicely.

I assume you have an installment loan reporting and open?  If not, go do the Alliant SSL technique today as this can boost your FICO scores 20-40 points in about a month!

Message 13 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the fast reply, and yes, I do have an installment loan (car loan) reporting as well. Guess i'll keep paying down the big balances and once I hit a lower util ill see what my scores are then and report back.  I'd like to get a Visa with some rewards, as im going to be traveling more next year and need something with no FTF and that can be used more worldwide.  Hopefully my discover will graduate before then as well - today my 6th statement cut (7 months opened). I haven't received an email yet though, or any notification it graduated.  Fingers still crossed..

Message 14 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am starting to like this forum! Smiley Very Happy Like I mentioned, I would keep you guys updated when my new scores generate, but in the near future, I was thinking of re-applying for the same card I had before, which was the AMEX Everyday, along with the AMEX BCE, I once got a pre-approved offer for the AMEX Gold Premier when I wasn't in debt, I turned that offer down, cause it was a charge card, but I'm thinking if I should apply for that one regardless and use it when and if needed.

I have also gotten credit card offers for the Chase Freedom card, now are the Chase Freedom and Unlimited the same card? Or is it better getting both? I also had my eye out for the Discover It Card, these are the top cards that I am looking for.

Message 15 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

The good thing is that I always know when to make payments, I have never missed a credit card payment, only one in my lifetime, so I actually make a mental note of when the credit card payments are supposed to be made, these are all helpful tips though, so thanks! Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if you've never forgotten a payment date, I suggest setting up autopay anyway.  You never know when things happen and you can't get to a website to make a payment!

Message 17 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh! Forgot to tell you guys, AMEX did close my original card cause I was overlimit back when I was in debt, but they marked it on my Experian report as paid and closed.
Message 18 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent education & advice.
Message 19 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my experience, 9 times out of 10 when someone starts a "should I app for..." thread, the best answer is "No."

I actually started a thread on this subject some time ago, but still strongly believe in everything I said:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Should-I-app-for-Would-I-get-approved-for-t...

Message 20 of 156
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.